Sheikh Hasina urges people to unite against anti-liberation forces
Published : 07 Mar 2018, 18:21
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina today called upon the people to remain alert and united so that the anti-liberation forces cannot come to power.
Hasina, also the president of ruling Awami League, came up with the call while delivering her speech marking the historic March 7 at Suhrawardy Udyan in Dhaka.
“I call upon you, those who believe in independence, spirit of the Liberation War and freedom of all people, to get united so that no war criminals and killers cannot come to power ever,” the premier said.
The prime minister started her speech at 4:40pm, around an hour after she reached the programme venue. AL organised the rally as a part of its pompous observation of the historic March 7.
On this day in 1971, Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman through his soulful address made a clarion call to the people to fight against the Pakistani occupation forces to achieve the long-cherished independence.
Today, the day is being observed with much more fanfare as the historic speech has been included in the Memory of the World International Register, a list of the world's important documentary heritage maintained by Unesco.
The rally began on schedule at 2:00pm. Earlier, senior leaders of the ruling quarter and its affiliate organisations addressed the rally.
The gathering at Suhrawardy Udyan began from 10:00am this morning. Thousands of Awami League leaders, activists and supporters thronged the venue.
- Most viewed
- Jacqueline Fernandez gets into Madhuri Dixit mode
- Spring cleaning for your home – literally!
- Bangladesh eligible for LDC graduation
- Govt efforts helped BD attain criteria to graduate from LDC: PM
- Lawyers file to prosecute Suu Kyi for crimes against humanity
- PM pays tribute to Bangabandhu on his birthday
- Bangabandhu's 99th birthday being celebrated
- 17 March Deaths
- 17 March Births
- At least 50 dead in US Bangla aircraft crash in TIA
- Schoolgirl ‘raped by 2 teenagers’ in Sylhet
- FBHRO starts its journey
- US-Bangla Airlines aircraft crashes in Kathmandu
- US-Bangla aircraft’s passenger list
- Govt declares mourning day today
- Prithula Rashid, a life cut short
- Queen Boudicca: a tribal woman fought against Roman rule
- US-Bangla flight reaches Nepal with families of crash victims