PM orders Ministry of Public Administration to scrutinise quota system
Published : 09 Apr 2018, 17:56
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has directed the public administration ministry to scrutinse the quota system in government service.
She gave the direction at a cabinet meeting on Monday.
Cabinet secretary Mohammad Shafiul Alam informed this to the journalist after the meeting. The meeting was held Prime Minister’s Office in the city while Sheikh Hasina was on the chair.
However, a team of 20 students has sat with Road Transport and Bridges Minister Obaidul Quader at secretariat to discuss the issue.
Students and job seekers have been demanding revision of the quota system in government services for some days.
As part of the movement, they blocked the Shahbagh intersection of the capital on Sunday. At one stage, they locked in a clash with law enforcers. The clash continued till midnight. Now the students of Dhaka University and other universities are also waging movement to realise their demand.
According to the Cabinet Secretary, some 77.40 percent job-seekers were appointed from the merit list in the 33rd BCS while 67.49 percent from the 35th BCS and 70.38 percent from the 36th BCS.
On March 7, the government issued a notification relaxing its previous system of preserving vacant posts.
Now the posts of different government jobs, which remain vacant for not getting eligible candidates from quota, will be filled from merit lists.
- Most viewed
- Traditional Ramadan Drinks with a Twist?
- Bangladesh-India to continue trend of cooperation in future: PM
- PM Hasina, Indian PM Modi inaugurate ‘Bangladesh Bhaban’ at Shantiniketan
- Only 1/5 of displaced Rohingyas’ needs funded: UNFPA
- Hasina, Modi to inaugurate Bangladesh Bhaban today
- PM Hasina in Santiniketan on a two-day visit to Kolkata
- PM Hasina talks to ailing Mahmoud Abbas over phone
- Priyanka asks world to learn from Bangladesh
- PM Sheikh Hasina left Dhaka for Kolkata
- Kamala Bhattacharya: First female martyr in Bengali Language Movement
- 10 killed in Texas school shooting
- More than 100 killed in Cuba Plane crash (Video)
- Lack of awareness, support pushes up suicide incidents in BD: Expert
- Siam plays Salman Shah for ‘Poramon 2’
- Two teenage ethnic girls found dead
- Sheikh Hasina, Modi to meet in Santiniketan
- Chun leads rain-hit Kingsmill Championship by one shot
- You'll Never Believe How Tasty Healthy Pancakes Can Be