5th anniv of Rana Plaza tragedy today
Published : 24 Apr 2018, 12:00
Today (Tuesday) is the 5th anniversary of Rana Plaza collapse, the worst-ever tragedy in the country’s multi-billion dollar ready-made garment (RMG) industry.
Marking the day, leaders and activists of different workers organisations placed wreaths in front of the Rana Plaza site in the morning remembering the victims.
Besides, they held a protest rally on Dhaka-Aricha highway. The family members and relatives of the victim broke into tears and demanded capital punishment of Rana plaza owner Sohel Rana.
Dr Md Enamur Rahman, MP, from Savar also placed wreaths at the site remembering the victims.
On this day in 2013, Rana Plaza, an illegally constructed building at Savar housing five garment factories, came down crashing, killing 1,175 people and injuring over 2,000 others.
Besides, a milad mahfil was held at Adhar Chandra High School field.
Earlier on Monday, different workers’ bodies lit candles in front of the Rana Plaza site commemorating the victims.
According to a survey conducted by Centre for Policy Dialogue (CPD), some 159 workers were still missing.
- Most viewed
- Worried about high cholesterol levels? Avoid foods full of trans fats
- Bangabandhu Satellite will benefit broadcasting industry: Tarana
- Bangladesh being built with Nazrul’s non-communal spirit: PM
- Ireland: Exit polls predict win for repealing abortion ban
- Housewife strangulated to death in Satkhira
- Facebook, Twitter to introduce new guidelines for political ads
- PM Hasina receives D.Litt from Nazrul University at Asansol
- 4 kids including girls drown in Cox’s Bazar, Bagerhat [...]
- PM to be conferred with DLitt Degree at Kazi Nazrul University at Asansol
- Chun leads rain-hit Kingsmill Championship by one shot
- You'll Never Believe How Tasty Healthy Pancakes Can Be
- Khulna City mayor calls on Prime Minister
- Prime Minister talks tough against drugs
- World needs to care about Rohingyas: Priyanka Chopra
- Woman gives birth to world’s seventh ‘mermaid baby’
- 9 die due to Nipah virus outbreak in India
- The Simple Things That Can Easily Lift Your Mood Up
- Abortion clinics to lose funding under new Trump rule