HC to hear Khaleda’s bail petitions tomorrow
Published : 21 May 2018, 17:08
The High Court today fixed tomorrow for hearing the petitions filed by BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia seeking bail in three different cases.
The bench of Justice AKM Asaduzzaman and Justice JBM Hassan fixed the date after Attorney General MahbubeyAlam sought time for taking preparation for placing arguments on the petitions.
The bench was scheduled to hold hearing on the bail petitions today.
Khaleda Zia’s lawyers however were present before the bench for placing arguments.
Among the three cases against Khaleda, two were filed in Comilla. One was filed on the charge of vandalising vehicles on January 25 in 2015, and the other on the charge of killing seven persons and injuring 25-26 persons by setting fire on a passenger bus at an area of Chauddagram on February 2 of the same year.
The third case was filed by Raihan Faruki Imam with a Narail court on September 24, 2015, against Khaleda Zia for making a statement about Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman and the number of freedom fighters.
Khaleda made the comment on December 21, 2015, at a meeting at the Institution of Engineers Bangladesh (IEB) in Dhaka where she said that Sheikh Mujib did not want the independence of the country but instead wanted to be the prime minister of Pakistan.
Khaleda Zia also said that there is a controversy over the number of freedom fighters.
Advocate Masud filed the petitions after the HC yesterday permitted the BNP chief to move the three bail petitions before it.
Earlier on May 16, the SC upheld an HC order that granted bail to Khaleda for four months in the Zia Orphanage Trust corruption case in which she was sentenced to five years' imprisonment.
She, however, could not get release from jail following the SC judgement as she was shown arrested in seven other cases, including the three aforementioned ones.
- Most viewed
- PM receives two UNICEF awards for campaign against early marriage
- Multi-storey buildings to replace city slums: Prime Minister
- 20 August Events
- 20 August Births
- 20 August Deaths
- Student, Trolled For Selling Fish, Donates Rs. 1.5 Lakh For Flood Aid
- Saudi feminists launch online radio
- Child passive smoking 'risk adult diseases'
- 16 nurses get pregnant at Arizona hospital
- Williams rebounds from worst loss to advance in Cincy tennis
- Sheikh Hasina to inaugurate 23 bridges, Fatehpur Railway Overpass
- BD beat Nepal 3-0 to emerge group top in SAFF U-15 Women’s championship
- U-15 girls take on Bhutan in SAFF semi
- Caned by headmaster, schoolgirl kills self
- Antibiotic resistance genes in air pose threat to human health: Study
- Nation observes National Mourning Day today
- SAFF U-15 girls reach final beating Bhutan 5-0
- Woman held in city for ‘spreading rumour on Facebook’