PM Hasina, Indian PM Modi inaugurate ‘Bangladesh Bhaban’ at Shantiniketan
Published : 25 May 2018, 14:52
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina today inaugurated the 'Bangladesh Bhaban’ jointly with her Indian counterpart Narendra Modi at Visva Bharati University in Shantiniketan.
PM Hasina also attended Visva Bharati Convocation Ceremony as the Guest of Honour there.
She is also scheduled to hold a meeting with Indian PM Narendra Modi there today.
Bangladesh Bhaban houses a museum showcasing Rabindranath Tagore's association with Bangladesh, Indo-Bangla relations, and the Liberation War of Bangladesh. The Bhaban has been built with funds from the Bangladesh government.
Earlier this morning, the PM arrived Kolkata on a two-day visit to West Bengal at the invitation of Narendra Modi.
A VVIP flight of Biman Bangladesh Airlines carrying Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and her entourage landed at Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International (NSCBI) Airport at 9:40am (local time).
Foreign Minister AH Mahmood Ali, Education Minister Nurul Islam Nahid, Cultural Affairs Minister Asaduzzaman Noor and Prime Minister's four Advisers on Political, Economic, Foreign and Energy affairs are accompanying the Prime Minister.
From the NSCBI Airport, Sheikh Hasina left for Visva Bharati, Santiniketan by a helicopter, where the Vice Chancellor of Visva Bharati Prof Sabuj Koli Sen received her.
Hasina attended the Visva Bharati Convocation Ceremony and took part in the convocation procession and oath ceremony.
Referring to the mutual ties including the similar culture in the two countries, Indian Premier Narendra Modi said the key to development of Bangladesh and India lies in the mutual cooperation between the two countries.
After the convocation ceremony, the Bangladesh prime minister and her Indian counterpart jointly unveiled the commemorative plaque of Bangladesh Bhaban.
Tagore's song 'Anandaloke Mongolaloke’ was played at the ceremony. The vice chancellor of Visva Bharati delivered the welcome speech.
- Most viewed
- Bangabandhu's assassination most shameful incident in world history: Envoy
- Speaker pays homage to Bangabandhu
- Prime Minister pays homage to Bangabandhu in Tungipara
- President, PM pay homage to Bangabandhu
- Nation observes National Mourning Day today
- 15 August Births
- 15 August Events
- 15 August Deaths
- Weekend special: Healthy Spring Rolls
- 9 August Events
- Govt working to strengthen democracy: Prime Minister
- Migrant boat sinks off Turkey killing 7 children, 2 women
- Karan Johar welcomes Preity Zinta back to Bollywood
- 9 August Births
- Bangladeshi women footballers beat Pakistan by 14-0
- 9 August Deaths
- Kareena Kapoor to get 50 per cent remuneration hike
- PM greets U-15 women footballers for victory over Pakistan