Supreme Court extends stay on Khaleda's bail
Published : 31 May 2018, 13:34
The Supreme Court will resume hearing BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia’s bail in two cases over violence in Cumilla on Jun 24, dimming the prospects of her release from jail before the Eid-ul-Fitr.
A three-member appellate bench, led by Chief Justice Syed Mahmud Hossain, upheld a stay order as it restarted the hearing on Thursday.
The court’s last workday was Thursday before the Eid holidays. It will reopen on Jun 24.
BNP leaders hoped that Khaleda would be released before the Eid after getting bail in the Zia Orphanage Trust case from the top court. That possibility is waning.
On May 16, the Appellate Division upheld an HC order that granted bail to Khaleda for four months in the corruption case in which she was jailed for five years.
But she was not released due to arrest orders in a number of other cases, including two violence cases in Cumilla.
The BNP lawyers appealed to the SC for getting her bail from those cases.
On May 28, the High Court granted interim bail in two violence cases that involve the firebombing of a bus in Cumilla and the anti-terror case over illegal explosives, raising BNP’s hope to get their leader released from the jail.
Hours after the HC granted bail to the BNP chief, the state filed two petitions with the SC seeking a stay on the HC bail orders in violence cases.
- Most viewed
- Mother, daughter found dead in Bogra
- Khaleda, Tarique directly involved in Aug 21 grenade attack: PM
- PM pays tribute to August 21 grenade attack victims
- 21 April Events
- 21 April Births
- 21 April Deaths
- Weinstein accuser Asia Argento paid teen who made sex assault claim
- Cabinet approves ‘Sarkari Chakori Ain, 2018’
- Pregnant New Zealand minister cycles to delivery ward
- Girls' supremacy finally over
- Saff U-15 girls eye more glory in final today
- Priyanka Chopra, Nick Jonas are officially engaged
- U-15 girls take on Bhutan in SAFF semi
- SAFF U-15 girls reach final beating Bhutan 5-0
- The 18th Asian Games got off to a glorious start
- Youth found dead at Chattogram hotel
- Caned by headmaster, schoolgirl kills self
- Huma Qureshi didn’t care about working with Khans