Prime Minister visits Pabna today
Published : 14 Jul 2018, 10:59
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina goes to Pabna today (Saturday) to inaugurate the first concrete pouring work of the second unit of Rooppur Nuclear Power Plant (RNPP).
Deputy Prime Minister of Russia Yury Ivanovich Borisov is also scheduled to be present during the inauguration of the concrete pouring ceremony of the country’s maiden nuclear plant.
The prime minister is also expected to inaugurate several projects in the Pabna district and address a public rally during the trip.
On November 30 last year, the prime minister inaugurated the construction work of the first unit of the Rooppur Nuclear Power Plant. As per the contracts, the first 1200MW unit of the nuclear power plant would be completed by June 2023 and the second unit by April 2024. The plant will use two generation 3+ VVER-1200 reactors.
The RNPP is being built under an agreement with Russia which will finance most part of the total cost of the plant.
The mega project is being implemented by the state-run Bangladesh Atomic Energy Commission (BAEC) under the Science and Technology Ministry, with financial, technical and technological support given by Russia through its state nuclear agency, Rosatom.
Atomostroyexport, the contractor appointed by Russia’s state-owned atomic power body, Rosatom, is constructing the RNPP at a cost of $12.65 billion.
Bangladesh Atomic Energy Commission (BAEC) and Russian company JSC Atomstroyexport signed a general contract for construction of RNPP on December 25 in 2015.
Russia will provide all assistance under the agreement for setting up the plant, including providing the fuel and taking back the used fuel.
- Most viewed
- 16 August Events
- 16 August Births
- 16 August Deaths
- Bangabandhu's assassination most shameful incident in world history: Envoy
- Speaker pays homage to Bangabandhu
- Prime Minister pays homage to Bangabandhu in Tungipara
- President, PM pay homage to Bangabandhu
- Nation observes National Mourning Day today
- 15 August Births
- Bangladeshi women footballers beat Pakistan by 14-0
- PM greets U-15 women footballers for victory over Pakistan
- Sexual violence a tool to force ethnic minorities to migrate: Experts
- Prevent cancer, save life
- US judge halts mother-daughter deportation
- Williams rebounds from worst loss to advance in Cincy tennis
- BD beat Nepal 3-0 to emerge group top in SAFF U-15 Women’s championship
- Tofu, soy milk can boost bone strength in women
- With new category, Oscars are now a popularity contest