People stream to Suhrawardy Udyan for Hasina's reception
Published : 21 Jul 2018, 15:48
Leaders, activists and supporters of the ruling party Awami League have braved the rain to flock to Dhaka’s Suhrawardy Udyan for the reception of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina.
The party is honouring its leader Sheikh Hasina with a reception commemorating her contributions in the government's achievements, which include successful the launch of the Bangabandhu-1 satellite, the nation graduating from ‘least developed’ to ‘developing’ status and her receiving the Global Women's Leadership Award in Australia.
Awami League leaders and activists began to congregate for the programme at Suhrawardy Udyan in the afternoon, clad in colourful caps and T-shirts.
Many activists have come in from outside Dhaka and have gathered in various points of the capital near Shahbag, Doyel Chattar and the Matsya Bhaban, chanting slogans.
The programme will start at 3.00 pm presided by Awami League presidium member and Deputy Leader on the Parliament Sheta Sajeda Chowdhury. Sheikh Hasina's son, Sajeeb Wazed Joy, is likely to be present on the occasion.
A 30-minute-long documentary on Bengali history and tradition will be presented at the event, Awami League leaders said.
A big L shaped stage has been prepared alongside seating arrangement for 20,000 people at the venue. A number of decorative archways have been set up at the entrance.
The western side of the stage is also exhibiting drawings depicting the prime minister’s various achievements.
At least 40 more archways decked with photographs of the prime minister and her various achievements have also been erected from the
- Most viewed
- Priyanka Chopra, Nick Jonas are officially engaged
- Huma Qureshi didn’t care about working with Khans
- Woman commits suicide after ‘stabbing husband’ in city
- Saff U-15 girls eye more glory in final today
- 18 August Events
- 18 August Births
- 18 August Deaths
- No cell phones at Deepika, Ranveer destination wedding
- Nick Jonas reaches India for engagement bash with Priyanka
- Williams rebounds from worst loss to advance in Cincy tennis
- Sheikh Hasina to inaugurate 23 bridges, Fatehpur Railway Overpass
- BD beat Nepal 3-0 to emerge group top in SAFF U-15 Women’s championship
- U-15 girls take on Bhutan in SAFF semi
- Caned by headmaster, schoolgirl kills self
- Antibiotic resistance genes in air pose threat to human health: Study
- Prime Minister pays homage to Bangabandhu in Tungipara
- Nation observes National Mourning Day today
- President, PM pay homage to Bangabandhu