Cyclone 'Maarutha' moves northeastwards in Bay
Published : 16 Apr 2017, 17:32
The cyclonic storm "Maarutha" over east-central bay and adjoining area moved northeastwards further and lies over the same area, a Met Office weather bulletin said here today.
The cyclone was centered at 12 noon today about 590 kms south of Chittagong port, 505 kms south of Cox's Bazar port, 705 kms south-southeast of Mongla port and 620 kms south-southeast of Payra port. It is likely to move in a north-northeasterly direction and may cross Myanmar coast near Sandoway by midnight tonight.
Maximum sustained wind speed within 54 kms of the cyclonic storm centre is about 62 kph rising to 88 kph in gusts or squalls, the weather bulletin said adding sea will remain very rough.
Maritime ports of Chittagong, Cox's Bazar, Mongla and Payra have been advised to keep hoisted distant warning signal number two (rpt) two. All fishing boats and trawlers over North Bay and deep sea have been advised to remain close to the coast and proceed with caution till further notice so that they can take shelter immediately.
- Most viewed
- Coffee has more power than you ever thought: 3 cups a day helps you live longer
- Spend too much time on social media? It can cause tension in your real life relationships
- PM opens, lays foundation stones of 33 schemes in Rajshahi
- Shah Rukh met Canadian PM Trudeau, family
- PM asks army to uphold democracy, constitution
- Khaleda’s appeal accepted, bail hearing Sunday
- India should not be worried: PM
- BD hailed for pioneering Int'l Mother Language Day
- Prime Minister visits Rajshahi today
- Open Access Movement for Open Data, Education and Research
- Jennifer Aniston, Justin Theroux separate
- Khaleda can’t run polls in present context: CEC
- Housewife hacked to death in Sylhet, 2 held
- Nation set to pay homage to language martyrs
- Emma donates 1 million pounds for victims of sexual harassment
- 'Suu Kyi could be guilty of crimes against humanity'
- 'Actors also use their sexuality to get things done'
- 21 eminent citizens receive Ekushey Padak