Bangladesh jolted by 5.5 earthquake
Published : 03 Jan 2017, 17:10
A medium intensity earthquake has been felt across Bangladesh.
US Geological Survey says it measured 5.5 on the Richter scale but Indian Met Department said the intensity was 5.7.
The epicentre was at Tripura’s Ambassa, 170 kilometres northeast of Dhaka and originated at a depth of 36 kilometres.
The jolt was felt at 3:09pm, said Prof Syed Humayun Akhtar of the earth observatory in Dhaka University. The tremor lasted for about four to five seconds.
There was panic as buildings began to shake. Many had evacuated and were seen outside in the streets. No casualties were reported yet, officials said.
Tremors of intensity 4 to 4.99 on the Richter scale are categorised as 'mild', those between 5 and 5.99 as 'moderate' and those between 6 and 6.99 are classified as 'strong'.
Earthquakes measuring 7 and above are classed as 'major' while those measuring 8 and above are known as 'great and greater'.
The seven northeastern Indian states – Assam, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Tripura, Nagaland, Arunachal Pradesh and Manipur – are considered by seismologists as the sixth major earthquake-prone belt in the world.
The region experienced an earthquake measuring 8.7 on the Richter scale in 1897.
Over 1,600 people had died in that quake specially in the undivided Assam province and the royal palace in Agartala was completely destroyed.
- Most viewed
- Emotionally stable people are spendthrift
- Priyanka shares her bengali bride look
- 'I was raped at 16 and I kept silent'
- Wife of Malaysia's ex-PM arrives for questions in 1MDB case
- PM invited to WEF annual meeting
- Judi Dench honoured at Spain film festival
- PM urges int’l community to ensure easy transfer of technology
- Prime Minister for upholding dignity of UN peacekeeping
- 26 September Births
- Prime Minister to address 73rd Session UNGA September 27
- FIFA to upgrade flights, raise prize money for Women's World Cup
- Bangladesh Asia’s 2nd most gender equal country: WEF
- PM not interested holding dialogue with BNP
- PM flies for New York to join 73rd UNGA
- Over 300m children out of school globally: UNICEF
- PM gives flats to former national footballers, hockey player
- Plan for 5-MRT, 2-BRT, 3-tier ring road, 6-expressway: Sheikh Hasina
- Kenya lifts ban on lesbian film