Two get life sentences for rape of Pirojpur school student
Published : 23 Jan 2017, 22:21
Two men have been sentenced to life in prison for the rape of a sixth standard schoolgirl in Pirojpur.
The verdict was announced by Pirojpur Additional District and Sessions Judge SM Zillur Rahman on Monday afternoon.
The convicts have also been ordered to pay a fine of Tk 20,000.
Failure to pay the fine would lead to an additional three years in prison.
One of the convicts, 38-year old Haidar Ali Sheikh, was present in court when the verdict was announced. The other convict, 34-year old Md Jewel Sikder is absconding.
According to prosecution lawyer Abdur Razzak Khan Badshah, the men had raped a schoolgirl from Indurkandi Upazila in July of 2010. They had taken nude photos of the victim later.
“On Aug 1 that year, the victim’s father filed a case under the Women and Child Repression Prevention Act at the Indurkandi Police Station, naming Jewel Sikder as the prime suspect.”
The judge heard the testimony of nine witnesses, including the plaintiff, a doctor, and the investigation official before delivering the verdict, the lawyer said.
- Most viewed
- Fettuccine Paneer Alfredo
- PM expects Bangladesh to produce swimming talents
- Moulvibazar school students, guardians protest 'sexual harassment' by headmaster
- Banani rape: Nayem Ashraf confessing at court
- Crying toddler found drinking milk from dead mother (Heartbreaking video)
- Kidman wants more films by women
- Theresa May to press Trump over bomb photo leaks
- 50 RMG employee fall sick for hot weather
- PM greets Tigers on their victory against Kiwis
- Banani hotel rape charge 'credible', police say
- Swatch of No-ground: A treasure trove of marine lives
- 'Unplanned Tourism Effects Biodiversity of Cox’s Bazar'
- Banani rape: Cops allowed for forensic test on mobiles of Shafat, Sakif
- Cannes 2017: Aishwarya unleashes glamour in red gown
- Blackberry working on anti-hack tool
- 19 killed in terror blast at UK pop concert
- Death toll in Manchester blast rises to 22
- PM accorded warm reception in Saudi Arabia