Two get life sentences for rape of Pirojpur school student
Published : 23 Jan 2017, 22:21
Two men have been sentenced to life in prison for the rape of a sixth standard schoolgirl in Pirojpur.
The verdict was announced by Pirojpur Additional District and Sessions Judge SM Zillur Rahman on Monday afternoon.
The convicts have also been ordered to pay a fine of Tk 20,000.
Failure to pay the fine would lead to an additional three years in prison.
One of the convicts, 38-year old Haidar Ali Sheikh, was present in court when the verdict was announced. The other convict, 34-year old Md Jewel Sikder is absconding.
According to prosecution lawyer Abdur Razzak Khan Badshah, the men had raped a schoolgirl from Indurkandi Upazila in July of 2010. They had taken nude photos of the victim later.
“On Aug 1 that year, the victim’s father filed a case under the Women and Child Repression Prevention Act at the Indurkandi Police Station, naming Jewel Sikder as the prime suspect.”
The judge heard the testimony of nine witnesses, including the plaintiff, a doctor, and the investigation official before delivering the verdict, the lawyer said.
- Most viewed
- 'Sex and the City' star enters New York governor race
- Speaker off to Saudi to perform Umrah
- Zuckerberg apologises for Facebook data debacle
- People of Bangladesh can achieve anything
- Bangladesh set to celebrate LDC graduation eligibility
- 4 held over Garo woman, daughter murdered
- Gang-rape in microbus: Mastermind held in Manikganj
- PM honored at LDC graduation ceremony
- BD seeks UN support for its inclusive approach towards women dev
- Jacqueline Fernandez gets into Madhuri Dixit mode
- First injured Bangladeshi victim of Nepal plane crash brought to Dhaka
- Tasmania elects majority of women in Australia state first
- Bangabandhu's 99th birthday being celebrated
- Barbecued Lamb with Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- Govt efforts helped BD attain criteria to graduate from LDC: PM
- Bangladesh eligible for LDC graduation
- Donald Trump Jr’s wife files for divorce
- Magura man ‘kills’ wife for dowry