Two get life sentences for rape of Pirojpur school student
Published : 23 Jan 2017, 22:21
Two men have been sentenced to life in prison for the rape of a sixth standard schoolgirl in Pirojpur.
The verdict was announced by Pirojpur Additional District and Sessions Judge SM Zillur Rahman on Monday afternoon.
The convicts have also been ordered to pay a fine of Tk 20,000.
Failure to pay the fine would lead to an additional three years in prison.
One of the convicts, 38-year old Haidar Ali Sheikh, was present in court when the verdict was announced. The other convict, 34-year old Md Jewel Sikder is absconding.
According to prosecution lawyer Abdur Razzak Khan Badshah, the men had raped a schoolgirl from Indurkandi Upazila in July of 2010. They had taken nude photos of the victim later.
“On Aug 1 that year, the victim’s father filed a case under the Women and Child Repression Prevention Act at the Indurkandi Police Station, naming Jewel Sikder as the prime suspect.”
The judge heard the testimony of nine witnesses, including the plaintiff, a doctor, and the investigation official before delivering the verdict, the lawyer said.
- Most viewed
- Abortion clinics to lose funding under new Trump rule
- Chun leads rain-hit Kingsmill Championship by one shot
- President, PM for ensuring accuracy in weights, measures
- Prince Harry, Meghan Markle wed in Windsor as millions watch
- Ramadan Recipes: How to Easily Make Basbousa
- Clooneys, Beckhams arrive for royal wedding
- It's all about the well-plumed hats for royal wedding guests
- Sheikh Hasina, Modi to meet in Santiniketan
- Kamala Bhattacharya: First female martyr in Bengali Language Movement
- Mallika Sherawat locks herself in a cage for a cause
- Around 60 babies a day born in Rohingya camps in Bangladesh: UNICEF
- PM Sheikh Hasina’s Homecoming Day Today
- SC decision on Khaleda’s bail Wednesday
- Rape accused killed in Feni ‘gunfight’
- Prime Minister asks police to provide proper service
- Why Cannes outings don't affect Aishwarya
- Saima for incorporating mental healthcare in disaster management plan
- Militancy now under control: Prime Minister