Two get life sentences for rape of Pirojpur school student
Published : 23 Jan 2017, 22:21
Two men have been sentenced to life in prison for the rape of a sixth standard schoolgirl in Pirojpur.
The verdict was announced by Pirojpur Additional District and Sessions Judge SM Zillur Rahman on Monday afternoon.
The convicts have also been ordered to pay a fine of Tk 20,000.
Failure to pay the fine would lead to an additional three years in prison.
One of the convicts, 38-year old Haidar Ali Sheikh, was present in court when the verdict was announced. The other convict, 34-year old Md Jewel Sikder is absconding.
According to prosecution lawyer Abdur Razzak Khan Badshah, the men had raped a schoolgirl from Indurkandi Upazila in July of 2010. They had taken nude photos of the victim later.
“On Aug 1 that year, the victim’s father filed a case under the Women and Child Repression Prevention Act at the Indurkandi Police Station, naming Jewel Sikder as the prime suspect.”
The judge heard the testimony of nine witnesses, including the plaintiff, a doctor, and the investigation official before delivering the verdict, the lawyer said.
- Most viewed
- Malala wins place at Oxford University
- 10-year-old rape victim gives birth in India
- South Asia flood death toll climbs to 250
- Anti-Muslim Australian senator wears burqa in Parliament
- Easy ways to stop sneezing
- Emma tops list of best paid actresses
- Teacher arrested for ‘raping Pallabi schoolgirl’
- PM to visit Kurigram, Dinajpur Sunday to see flood victims
- Case filed over Pallabi student rape
- Australian Army bans male recruits to get female numbers up
- Amazing Health Benefits Of Miswak
- Roads to avoid on Aug 15
- Baul singer ‘gang-raped’ in Ashulia
- Taylor Swift assault case: Judge throws out DJ's lawsuit
- Hiding The Propaganda
- PM critical of those denying Bangabandhu's contribution
- 13 August Births
- 13 August Deaths