Two get life sentences for rape of Pirojpur school student
Published : 23 Jan 2017, 22:21
Two men have been sentenced to life in prison for the rape of a sixth standard schoolgirl in Pirojpur.
The verdict was announced by Pirojpur Additional District and Sessions Judge SM Zillur Rahman on Monday afternoon.
The convicts have also been ordered to pay a fine of Tk 20,000.
Failure to pay the fine would lead to an additional three years in prison.
One of the convicts, 38-year old Haidar Ali Sheikh, was present in court when the verdict was announced. The other convict, 34-year old Md Jewel Sikder is absconding.
According to prosecution lawyer Abdur Razzak Khan Badshah, the men had raped a schoolgirl from Indurkandi Upazila in July of 2010. They had taken nude photos of the victim later.
“On Aug 1 that year, the victim’s father filed a case under the Women and Child Repression Prevention Act at the Indurkandi Police Station, naming Jewel Sikder as the prime suspect.”
The judge heard the testimony of nine witnesses, including the plaintiff, a doctor, and the investigation official before delivering the verdict, the lawyer said.
- Most viewed
- ASI sued over rape in Chittagong
- Guides to pack jewellery while travelling
- New project launched to mitigate NY sound pollution
- Eurozone business activity slows: Markit survey
- Choi Soon-sil: South Korean ex-president's friend jailed
- 9 Bangladeshi women and children released from Indian jail after 4 years
- PM pays homage to Bangabandhu on AL's 68th founding anniversary
- AL to stay beside people: PM
- Give scope to AL to serve people time and again: PM
- Protect yourself from deadly brain tumours
- Banani rape indictment hearing Jul 9
- PM seeks Moroccan investment in economic zones
- 5 to die for killing housewife after rape in C’nawabganj
- Beyonce gives birth to twins
- Priyanka Chopra kicks off shooting for her second hollywood film
- Folk queen Momtaz brings two new songs this Eid
- NASA tests flexible solar array on space station
- PM hosts iftar for eminent personalities, poets, artists