'Govt working to ensure women's equal role'
Published : 19 Mar 2017, 12:45
Chairperson of the parliamentary standing committee on foreign ministry Dipu Moni on Saturday said the government is working to ensure equal and active participation of women in the socio-economic development of the country.
"The Bangladesh government has been working relentlessly to ensure the equal and active participation of women in the mainstream socio-economic activities," She said.
The former foreign minister made the statement while attending a discussion on "Empowering parliaments to empower women: Making the economy work for women" on Saturday while leading the Bangladesh parliamentary delegation to this IPU event held at the UN headquarters in New York.
The other members of the delegation are Abdul Latif and Saira Mohsin, says a release of permanent mission of Bangladesh to the United Nations.
Delivering her speech, Dipu Moni underscored that the economic empowerment of the women cannot be achieved without addressing the deeply entrenched discriminatory norms and legal barriers to women's autonomy.
She further stated, "Defying all local and international obstacles, a considerable number of women in Bangladesh are in decision-making roles.
"The Government has facilitated the overall development of women by introducing Gender responsive budgeting and skill development, ensuring their access to the digital world."
"We have also emphasized on financial inclusion of women in the 7th five Year Plan," she added.
During the programme, the parliamentarians from different countries highlighted the role that the parliaments could play to materialize gender equality and shared best practices in their respective countries.
- Most viewed
- Stay alert against defeated forces: PM
- Sheikh Hasina reaches Suhrawady Udyan
- Jessia to join grand finale of Miss World, 2017
- Woman accuses US Senator of unwanted groping, kiss
- This is when women are most likely to cheat on their partner
- Why women are happier being single than men
- PM witnesses Dhaka Opera House design
- PM opens BLLISS-2017
- Jolie condemns sexual violence against Rohingyas
- Right to a healthy future
- Women less likely to get CPR from bystanders: Study
- Amy Schumer ‘dating’ chef Chris Fischer
- Myanmar's Suu Kyi now benefits from Southeast Asia's silence
- 18-month-old girl allegedly raped by caretaker
- Queen Elizabeth, Prince Philip celebrate 70th wedding anniversary
- UN chief meets Myanmar's Suu Kyi on Rohingya crisis
- Sessions vows Clinton probe on emails
- Role of women in climate action recognised at UN climate conf