'Govt working to ensure women's equal role'
Published : 19 Mar 2017, 12:45
Chairperson of the parliamentary standing committee on foreign ministry Dipu Moni on Saturday said the government is working to ensure equal and active participation of women in the socio-economic development of the country.
"The Bangladesh government has been working relentlessly to ensure the equal and active participation of women in the mainstream socio-economic activities," She said.
The former foreign minister made the statement while attending a discussion on "Empowering parliaments to empower women: Making the economy work for women" on Saturday while leading the Bangladesh parliamentary delegation to this IPU event held at the UN headquarters in New York.
The other members of the delegation are Abdul Latif and Saira Mohsin, says a release of permanent mission of Bangladesh to the United Nations.
Delivering her speech, Dipu Moni underscored that the economic empowerment of the women cannot be achieved without addressing the deeply entrenched discriminatory norms and legal barriers to women's autonomy.
She further stated, "Defying all local and international obstacles, a considerable number of women in Bangladesh are in decision-making roles.
"The Government has facilitated the overall development of women by introducing Gender responsive budgeting and skill development, ensuring their access to the digital world."
"We have also emphasized on financial inclusion of women in the 7th five Year Plan," she added.
During the programme, the parliamentarians from different countries highlighted the role that the parliaments could play to materialize gender equality and shared best practices in their respective countries.
- Most viewed
- 23 March Deaths
- 23 March Births
- 23 March Events
- 'Sex assault' streamed on Facebook Live
- Eurovision 2017: Ukraine bars Russian singer Samoilova from contest
- Police officer 'stabbed at UK Parliament'
- Girl born with four legs is separated from parasitic twin in Chicago surgery
- Merkel's conservatives extend lead in Germany's Forsa poll
- We have to move faster: PM
- 20 March Deaths
- MA, MSS, MBA, MSc and M Mug exams postponed
- Guys stop doing this!
- Impulsive Facebook use cause brain imbalance
- Indonesia summons UK envoy over coral reef destruction
- PM advises children to take lessons of patriotism from early life
- 'Take vow to make developed Bangladesh'
- IS claims responsibility for Ashkona suicide blast
- 'Govt working to ensure women's equal role'