Mufti Hannan, aides hanged
Published : 13 Apr 2017, 01:22
Harkat-ul-Jihadi al Islami (HuJI) leader Mufti Hannan and his two aides have been hanged tonight over the much talked grenade attack on the then UK envoy Anwar Choudhury in 2004.
Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan Kamal has confirmed this to Samakal tonight.
'They were hanged at 10pm,' the Minister said.
The security has been tightened, earlier, in and around the Kashimpur Central Jail in Gazipur and Sylhet Central Jail to execute Harkat-ul-Jihadi al Islami (HuJI) leader Mufti Hannan and his aides.
Earlier the family members of HuJI leader Mufti Mohammad Abdul Hannan met him at Kashimpur Central Jail on Wednesday morning.
Hannan’s wife, two daughters and elder brother met him at the jail gate, said Mizanur Rahman, senior jail super of Kashimpur Central Jail in Gazipur adding that they talked with Hannan from 7:10am to 7:50am.
The jail authority yesterday asked the family members of Hannan and another militant Sharif Shahedul Alam alias Bipul, both condemned for the 2004 grenade attack on the then UK High Commissioner, to meet them at the jail.
Meanwhile, the family members of Delwar Hossain alias Ripon, the other condemned militant, met him at Sylhet Central Jail yesterday afternoon.
The banned Harkat-ul Jihad al-Islami (Huji) leader Mufti Hannan has sought presidential clemency over his crime but president has refused his appeal.
Supreme Court released the full text of its verdict upholding the death sentence of Harkat-ul-Jihad (Huji) chief Mufti Abdul Hannan and two others in a case filed over a grenade attack on ex-British envoy to Bangladesh Anwar Choudhury in 2004.
The Appellate Division, later, upheld the death sentence of Mufti Hannan and two others in the case after hearing of the review petition filed by the three death row convicts, clearing the way to execute them.
On December 7, 2016, a SC bench, headed by Chief Justice SK Sinha, upheld the death penalty of the three in the case rejecting the appeal filed by Mufti Hannan and Sharif Shahedul Alam alias Bipul seeking a review of the High Court verdict that had upheld their death sentence.
Two HuJI men, including its chief Mufti Hannan and Sharif Shahedul Alam alias Bipul, filed the appeal petition before the Appellate Division bench concerned on 14 July, 2016.
The then British High Commissioner Anwar Choudhury came under a grenade attack while coming out of Hazrat Shahjalal’s shrine in his hometown Sylhet in 2004. The envoy and 40 employees of the Sylhet district administration were injured in the attack.
Assistant Sub-inspector Kamal Uddin died on the spot, while two others Constables Rubel Ahmed and one Habil Miah succumbed to their injuries in a hospital later on.
- Most viewed
- PM Sheikh Hasina to leave Dhaka for Australia Thursday
- Indian court finds spiritual guru guilty of raping devotee
- Woman held with 9 lakh Indian rupees
- 25 April Deaths
- 25 April Births
- 25 April Events
- Rickshaw drivers protest Kathua and Unnao rapes
- Rana Plaza was a man-made disaster: Rushanara Ali
- Cooper, Gaga’s pact for ‘A Star Is Born’
- Queen tips Prince Charles to follow her as Commonwealth head
- PM returns home from London
- PM calls for Commonwealth’s comprehensive reform
- 3 resident students of DU hall brought back
- Amorous couples, sex workers whipped in Indonesia's Aceh
- PM exchanges greetings with British Queen
- Ostrich chicks, gold ornaments seized in Satkhira
- Husband kills wife for dowry
- Science Says: Amount of straws, plastic pollution is huge