National Legal Aid Day on April 28
Published : 16 Apr 2017, 17:44
Country is all set to observe National Legal Aid Day on April 28 with the aim to raise awareness about providing judicial assistance to all.
"It is the fifth time that we are going to observe the day. We are going to hold a Meet the Press function at Supreme Court conference room on April 18 marking the day," Advocate Titas Hellol Rema, member secretary of Supreme Court Legal Aid Committee, told BSS.
Chief Justice Surendra Kumar Sinha on September 8, 2015, officially inaugurated the Supreme Court Legal Aid Office. The Supreme Court Committee was comprised of 10 members and Justice Nizamul Huq was nominated as the chairman of the committee. Later two members were included in the committee as observers.
When Justice Nizamul Huq was elevated to Appellate Division of the Supreme Court, the chief justice appointed Justice M. Enayetur Rahim as the chairman of the committee.
The committee provides legal aids for free to the persons whose yearly income is not more than Taka 1.5 lakh. The legal aids include civil appeal and revision, criminal appeal and revision, jail appeal, writ petition and leave to appeal.
Supreme Court Legal Aid office is also providing judicial assistances like legal advice, filing and dealing cases, expert opinion on the merit of the case and bearing the actual cost.
Recently Supreme Court Legal Aid Committee appointed 77 lawyers at the High Court Division and 6 lawyers at the Appellate Division to handle such cases.
- Most viewed
- How sleep disorders could affect women and men differently
- Ariana Grande returns to US following Manchester bombing
- Rab cordons off 2 ‘militant dens’ in C’nawabganj
- 24 May Events
- 24 May Births
- 24 May Deaths
- Macher Paturi
- Shabana Azmi plays a mom in The Black Prince, a biopic on Punjab’s last king
- Death toll in Manchester blast rises to 22
- Banani rape: Key accused Nayem Ashraf placed in 7-day remand
- Banani Rape: Key accused Nayem
- Banani hotel rape charge 'credible', police say
- Swatch of No-ground: A treasure trove of marine lives
- Haor people to get fresh agri loan at 4.5 pc: PM
- Bollywood actress Reema Lagoo dies
- 'Unplanned Tourism Effects Biodiversity of Cox’s Bazar'
- Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina reaches Netrakona
- Banani rape: Cops allowed for forensic test on mobiles of Shafat, Sakif