PM pays homage to Bangabandhu on Mujibnagar Day
Published : 17 Apr 2017, 13:28
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina today paid rich tributes to Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman on the occasion of the historic Mujibnagar Day.
The premier paid the homage by placing a wreath at Bangabandhu's portrait in front of Bangabandhu Memorial Museum at Dhanmondi in the city this morning.
After laying the wreath, the prime minister stood in solemn silence for some time as a mark of profound respect to the memory of Bangabandhu, the architect of independence.
Flanked by central leaders of the party, Sheikh Hasina, also the president of Bangladesh Awami League, placed another wreath at the portrait of Bangabandhu on behalf of her party.
Awami League Advisory Council Members Amir Hossain Amu, Tofail Ahmed and Advocate Yusuf Hossain Humayun, Presidium Members Begum Matia Chowdhury, Abdul Mannan Khan and Dr Abdur Razzak, General Secretary Obaidul Quader, Joint Secretaries Dr Dipu Moni and Abdur Rahman, Publicity Secretary Dr Hasan Mahmood, Organising Secretaries AFM Bahauddin Nasim and Ahmed Hossain and Office Secretary Dr Abdus Sobhan Golap were present, among others.
Later, the leaders of AL's associate bodies including Jubo League, Chhatra League, Mohila Awami League, Jubo Mohila League, Swechchhasebak League, Sramik League and Krishak League laid wreaths at the portrait of Bangabandhu.
On this day in 1971, Bangladesh's first government in exile was formed at the Baidyanathtala mango grove in Meherpur (the then Kushtia district).
The place was later renamed Mujibnagar to Bangabandhu who had been declared as the president of the government-in-exile.
Syed Nazrul Islam was appointed the acting president in the absence of Bangabandhu. Tajuddin Ahmad was appointed the first prime minister, while Captain M Mansur Ali and AHM Quamaruzzaman were made cabinet members.
The successful leadership of the core cabinet steered the Liberation War to the victory on December 16 that year.
- Most viewed
- So, does Priyanka's mommy approve of rumoured boyfriend Nick
- Burgener wraps up visit to Myanmar; underlines accountability
- Hundreds of women march in Rio to demand legal abortion
- Blame to go to AL grassroots leaders if it fails to win next polls: PM
- Parted at US border by Trump policy, migrants seek their children
- AL Anniversary: PM pays homage to Bangabandhu
- 23 June Births
- 23 June Deaths
- 23 June Events
- Chicago lawyers walk in heels to end sexual assault
- AL announced a reception on July 21 for PM
- 68.5m people displaced worldwide: UN
- Keep it up, PM to women cricketers
- ‘Amar Sonar Bangla’ now in Belarusian language
- Tonu Killing: CID to get suspects’ DNA reports next week
- World's oldest Sumatran orangutan Puan died
- New Zealand PM gives birth to baby girl
- WB should support national priority of a country, WB ED tells PM