PM receives replica of Bangabandhu satellite
Published : 17 Apr 2017, 13:55
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina today received a replica of Bangabandh Satellite-1 scheduled to be launched into the orbit in December next year.
State Minister for Post and Telecommunications Tarana Halim handed over the replica to the prime minister at the beginning of the cabinet meeting this morning.
As per the action plan, the Bangabandhu Satellite-1, the first ever of the country, will be launched into the orbit on December 16 next year, the victory day of Bangladesh.
Thales Alenia Space, a French aerospace manufacturer, is manufacturing the satellite with a cost of Tk 2,967 crore.
The satellite, meant for communication and broadcast services, is so far the most sophisticated technological project undertaken by Bangladesh.
Bangladesh bought the orbital slot from Intersputnik, a Russian satellite company, for $28 million early this year, and the purchase contract mandates launch of the satellite by June 2018. If delayed, both money and the orbit will be forfeited.
Once launched, Bangabandhu-1 will save this annual cost, and bring in foreign currency by leasing out half its capacity to Saarc nations, as well as countries like Indonesia, the Philippines, Turkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan, if the frequencies are properly coordinated.
Meanwhile, the cabinet today also approved the drafts of three laws -- Bangladesh Rural Development Act-2017, Rajshahi Unnayan Kartripakkha Act-2017 and Income Tax Act-2017.
As per a court directive, the government enacted the laws, which were ordinances earlier approved by the army-led government.
Source: Prothom Alo
- Most viewed
- How sleep disorders could affect women and men differently
- Ariana Grande returns to US following Manchester bombing
- Rab cordons off 2 ‘militant dens’ in C’nawabganj
- 24 May Events
- 24 May Births
- 24 May Deaths
- Macher Paturi
- Shabana Azmi plays a mom in The Black Prince, a biopic on Punjab’s last king
- Death toll in Manchester blast rises to 22
- Banani rape: Key accused Nayem Ashraf placed in 7-day remand
- Banani Rape: Key accused Nayem
- Banani hotel rape charge 'credible', police say
- Swatch of No-ground: A treasure trove of marine lives
- Haor people to get fresh agri loan at 4.5 pc: PM
- Bollywood actress Reema Lagoo dies
- 'Unplanned Tourism Effects Biodiversity of Cox’s Bazar'
- Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina reaches Netrakona
- Banani rape: Cops allowed for forensic test on mobiles of Shafat, Sakif