PM talks to Shakib, Mahmudullah over phone after Tigers' victory against Kiwis
Published : 10 Jun 2017, 11:38
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina have talked to two heroes of the victorious Bangladesh cricket team Shakib Al Hasan and Mahmudullah Riyad over phone after the historic win of the Tigers against New Zealand in the ICC Champions Trophy in England last night.
"The honourable prime minister talked to two centurions of Bangladesh team Shakib Al Hasan and Mahmudullah Riyad over phone immediately after the historic win against New Zealand," PM's Press Secretary Ihsanul Karim said.
Congratulating the Bangladesh cricket team for the victory, Sheikh Hasina, an ardent cricket fan, said the joy of victory after fighting is different. "The trend of fighting will have to continue and the win would surely come Insha Allah," she said.
Two sparkling centuries of Shakib and Mahmudullah fired Bangladesh to beat New Zealand comfortably by 5 wickets and brighten their chances of playing the Champions Trophy semifinals.
The Tigers rode on their record 224-run partnership to overhaul the target of 266 with 16 balls in hand in the Group A game in Cardiff.
Shakib smashed his seventh ODI century on way to a swashbuckling 114 while his partner, Mahmudullah, was unbeaten on 102.
- Most viewed
- So, does Priyanka's mommy approve of rumoured boyfriend Nick
- Burgener wraps up visit to Myanmar; underlines accountability
- Hundreds of women march in Rio to demand legal abortion
- Blame to go to AL grassroots leaders if it fails to win next polls: PM
- Parted at US border by Trump policy, migrants seek their children
- AL Anniversary: PM pays homage to Bangabandhu
- 23 June Births
- 23 June Deaths
- 23 June Events
- Chicago lawyers walk in heels to end sexual assault
- AL announced a reception on July 21 for PM
- 68.5m people displaced worldwide: UN
- Keep it up, PM to women cricketers
- Tonu Killing: CID to get suspects’ DNA reports next week
- New Zealand PM gives birth to baby girl
- WB should support national priority of a country, WB ED tells PM
- ‘Amar Sonar Bangla’ now in Belarusian language
- UK's May defeats Brexit rebels, but divisions still reign