PM for increasing connectivity among Asian nations
Published : 05 Dec 2017, 11:43
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on Tuesday stressed the importance of increasing connectivity and cooperation among Asian nations in the interest of the people of this region.
The Prime Minister came up with the views when former Cambodian Prime Minister and President of Funcinpec, a Cambodian royal party, Norodom Ranariddh met her at her hotel suite here in the morning.
After the meeting, PM's Additional Press Secretary M Nazrul Islam briefed reporters.
He said the two leaders discussed the issues of boosting regional connectivity and people-to-contact among the Asian nations.
Sheikh Hasina said Bangladesh could work as a ‘bridge’ between the East and West. "That's why we've taken an initiative to build a new international airport near Dhaka," she said.
The PM said Cox's Bazar Airport will be turned into an international one to increase connectivity between Bangladesh and southeast Asian nations.
Norodom Ranariddh, also the half-brother of the current Cambodian King, expressed gratitude to the Prime Minister for naming a road in Dhaka after former Cambodian King late Norodom Sihanouk’s name.
Hasina also thanked the Cambodian government and people for naming a road in Phnom Penh after the name of Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.
Hasina and Ranariddh, a former president of the National Assembly of Cambodia, recalled their previous meetings held on different occasions, including the conference of parliamentarians of Asian countries in Dhaka.
Foreign Minister AH Mahmood Ali, Civil Aviation and Tourism Minister Rashed Khan Menon, PM's Principal Secretary Dr Kamal Abdul Naser Chowdhury, Principal Coordinator on SDGs at the Prime Minister's Office Md Abul Kalam Azad and Foreign Secretary M Shahidul Haque were, among others, present.
- Most viewed
- France-Croatia to fight for World Cup 2018 title tonight
- What you should know about Croatian President Kolinda Kitarovic
- Elizabeth's memorable encounters with US presidents
- Asif Akbar to act in movies
- PM asks SSF not to isolate her from people
- Bangladesh emerge all-win champions in Women's WT20 Qualifiers
- Putin, Macron, Kitarovic to watch World Cup final
- AL to fulfill pledges if voted to power again: Prime Minister
- US woman survives 7 days on radiator water after Jeep crash
- Prime Minister visits Pabna today
- 11 July Deaths
- Tigresses ensure participation of ICC World T20
- Bangladesh Tigress will face Scotland tonight
- Bangladesh women’s cricket team rout Netherlands by 7 wkts
- Teen arrested for dancing in Iran
- Six boys exit from Thai cave, Rescue operation underway
- No more ‘hot women’- FIFA wants fewer images of attractive female fans in stadiums
- 'Rescued 8 Thai boys in good mental, physical state'