Khaleda Zia jailed for 5 years, Tarique 10yrs
Published : 08 Feb 2018, 14:49
BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia has been jailed for five years after she was found guilty in the Zia Orphanage Trust corruption case.
Her elder son and BNP’s Vice-Chairman Tarique Rahman and four others have been given 10 years in the case and a fine of Tk 2.10 crore each in the politically significant case ahead of the parliamentary election.
Judge Md Akhtaruzzaman of the Special Court-5 in Dhaka sentenced Khaleda to rigorous imprisonment and said the shorter term was for “her health and social status”.
- Most viewed
- 34 new experiments to launch on NASA cargo ship
- 9 die due to Nipah virus outbreak in India
- Prime Minister talks tough against drugs
- Khulna City mayor calls on Prime Minister
- 21 May Events
- 21 May Births
- 21 May Deaths
- Abortion clinics to lose funding under new Trump rule
- Chun leads rain-hit Kingsmill Championship by one shot
- Mallika Sherawat locks herself in a cage for a cause
- Around 60 babies a day born in Rohingya camps in Bangladesh: UNICEF
- SC decision on Khaleda’s bail Wednesday
- PM Sheikh Hasina’s Homecoming Day Today
- Rape accused killed in Feni ‘gunfight’
- Prime Minister asks police to provide proper service
- Eat yogurt ‘appetizer’ to cut down chronic inflammation risk
- Saima for incorporating mental healthcare in disaster management plan
- Why Cannes outings don't affect Aishwarya