Khaleda Zia jailed for 5 years, Tarique 10yrs
Published : 08 Feb 2018, 14:49
BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia has been jailed for five years after she was found guilty in the Zia Orphanage Trust corruption case.
Her elder son and BNP’s Vice-Chairman Tarique Rahman and four others have been given 10 years in the case and a fine of Tk 2.10 crore each in the politically significant case ahead of the parliamentary election.
Judge Md Akhtaruzzaman of the Special Court-5 in Dhaka sentenced Khaleda to rigorous imprisonment and said the shorter term was for “her health and social status”.
- Most viewed
- Khaleda can’t run polls in present context: CEC
- Nation set to pay homage to language martyrs
- Trump blasts Oprah
- Keep every child alive, says Unicef
- Emma donates 1 million pounds for victims of sexual harassment
- 21 eminent citizens receive Ekushey Padak
- Maintain distinctive characters of Bangla: PM
- Election in due time no matter who joins it: PM
- Nation pays homage to language martyrs