Afruza Bari gets AL ticket for Gaibandha by-polls
Published : 09 Feb 2018, 23:54
Bangladesh Awami League today nominated Afruza Bari to contest the Gaibandha-1 (Sundarganj) by-election slated for March 13.
The nomination was finalized at a meeting of the Awami League Parliamentary Board (ALPB) held at Ganabhaban, the official residence of the Prime Minister, this evening.
ALPB Chief and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina chaired the meeting.
"The ALPB unanimously nominated Afruza Bari to contest the Gaibandha-1 (Sundarganj) by-election" an Awami League press release signed by Office Secretary Dr Abdus Sobhan Golap said.
The Election Commission on February 4 announced by-polls schedules for the parliamentary seat.
According to the schedule, the deadline for submission of nomination papers is February 14, while the date for scrutinizing the nomination papers is February 16 and the last date for withdrawal of candidature is February 23.
The Gaibandha-1 fell vacant following the death of Golam Mostafa on December 19 last.
The Rangpur Regional Election Officer has been appointed as the returning officer for Gaibandha-1 by-election.
The EC has a constitutional obligation to hold any parliamentary by-polls within 90 days after the constituency concerned falls vacant.
- Most viewed
- Receiving Smita Patil award validates my choices: Anushka
- PM to receive 2 awards for her leadership over Rohingya issue
- PM gives flats to former national footballers, hockey player
- 20 September Events
- 20 September Births
- 20 September Deaths
- Over 300m children out of school globally: UNICEF
- PM not interested holding dialogue with BNP
- Plan for 5-MRT, 2-BRT, 3-tier ring road, 6-expressway: Sheikh Hasina
- 14 September Births
- Dhaka University admission tests begin today
- 6 female activists of Jamaat held in Bogura
- 14 September Events
- 14 September Deaths
- Instagram rolls out new feature to help users with drug issues
- Halle Berry to make directorial debut with bruised
- Women should be proud of their beauty: Jhanvi Kapoor
- Choose natural plants to connect you to your interiors