Woman freed from jail after serving 20 years on International Women’s Day
Published : 08 Mar 2018, 17:01
A woman who was sentenced to life imprisonment in a case filed in connection with abducting a child in Cox’s Bazar in 1998, has been released after serving 20 years in jail on the International Women’s Day on Thursday.
The High Court bench of Justice M Enayetur Rahim and Justice Shahidul Karim passed the order after hearing a petition filed by a Supreme Court lawyer, Fazlur Rahman, on Thursday.
The woman is Monwara Begum alias Motahera Beguma alias Khurshida Begum.
The court also asked the Cox’s Bazar deputy commissioner and authorities concerned to rehabilitate Monwara Begum, if her relatives are not found after the release.
Monwara Begum, wife of one Ismail and daughter of one Kadir Hossain of Purba Dhechua in Ramu upazila of Coxs’ Bazar, was was awarded life imprisonment on November 27 in 2001 in an abduction case, the case statement said.
The case was filed following Razia Akhter, a student of Cox’s Bazar Preparatory School, was abducted by Monwara on June 13, 1998.
But because she is poor, she has not been able to apply for a proper judgment in the High Court and since then she has in jail.
- Most viewed
- Amaranth Walnut Salad Recipe
- Teenager held for ‘raping’ Sunamganj minor girl
- Power generation sets new record; crosses 10,000 MW
- Woman found dead in Narsingdi
- 2 years of Tonu murder: Protesters demand justice
- Bangladesh's graduation to developing country a slap to critics: PM
- 16-year-old Mitu first Bangladeshi girl to cross Bangla Channel
- Profile: Bangadeshis killed in US-Bangla plane crash
- 20 March Deaths
- FBHRO starts its journey
- Govt declares mourning day today
- Jacqueline Fernandez gets into Madhuri Dixit mode
- Schoolgirl stabbed in Chapainawabganj
- First injured Bangladeshi victim of Nepal plane crash brought to Dhaka
- Bangabandhu's 99th birthday being celebrated
- Tasmania elects majority of women in Australia state first
- Checking early marriage to protect kids from malnutrition: Dr Shirin
- Barbecued Lamb with Mashed Potatoes Recipe