ACC’s appealhearing to extend Khaleda’s punishment on Wednesday
Published : 27 Mar 2018, 12:56
The High Court on Tuesday fixed Wednesday for hearing on acceptance of an appeal filed by Anti-Corruption Commission seeking extension of punishment of BNP chairperson Khaleda Zia in Zia Orphanage Trust graft case in which she was earlier sentenced to five years' imprisonment.
An HC bench of Justice M Enayetur Rahim and Justice Md Shahidul Karim fixed the date after the appeal was placed before it.
On Sunday, the ACC filed the appeal.
Earlier on March 19, the Appellate Division of the Supreme Court stayed BNP chairperson Khaleda Zia's bail till May 8 in the graft case.
The SC also allowed the state and the ACC to file petitions against HC order that granted bail to Khaleda fixing May 8 for next hearing.
On March 12, the High Court granted a four-month interim bail to Khaleda Zia.
On February 8 last, the Dhaka Special Court-5 convicted the BNP chief and sentenced her to five years' imprisonment in the case. She was then sent to old central jail at Nazimuddin Road in the city.
The court read out a 632-page summarised version of the verdict on that day and it released the full 1174-page copy of the verdict on February 19.
- Most viewed
- Emotionally stable people are spendthrift
- Priyanka shares her bengali bride look
- 'I was raped at 16 and I kept silent'
- Wife of Malaysia's ex-PM arrives for questions in 1MDB case
- PM invited to WEF annual meeting
- Judi Dench honoured at Spain film festival
- PM urges int’l community to ensure easy transfer of technology
- Prime Minister for upholding dignity of UN peacekeeping
- 26 September Births
- Prime Minister to address 73rd Session UNGA September 27
- FIFA to upgrade flights, raise prize money for Women's World Cup
- Bangladesh Asia’s 2nd most gender equal country: WEF
- PM not interested holding dialogue with BNP
- PM flies for New York to join 73rd UNGA
- Over 300m children out of school globally: UNICEF
- PM gives flats to former national footballers, hockey player
- Plan for 5-MRT, 2-BRT, 3-tier ring road, 6-expressway: Sheikh Hasina
- Kenya lifts ban on lesbian film