Tureen Afroz removed from ICT prosecution team
Published : 10 May 2018, 13:23
International Crimes Tribunal (ICT) Prosecutor Dr Tureen Afroz has been relieved of all activities of the tribunal for professional misconduct and breaching discipline and code of conduct.
ICT prosecution branch sent two letters signed by Chief Prosecutor Golf Arif Tipu to the Law Ministry on Tuesday and Wednesday in this regard.
Sources at the tribunal said the action has been taken against Dr Tureen Afroz for meeting war crimes accused Oahidul Haque, former Additional Inspector General of Police, secretly.
Now, the ministry will take necessary measures as it appoints the prosecutors, they said.
Another prosecutor Taposh Kranti Boul has been relieved of all activities of the war crimes case against Oahidul.
Prosecutor Ziad Al Malum said the chief prosecutor removed Dr Tureen Afroz from the case of Oahidul on May 7 and from all activities of the tribunal on Tuesday.
Contacted, Law Minister Anisul Huq said they received letters from the ICT’s prosecution branch. “Legal action will be taken following investigation,” he said.
Meanwhile, Dr Tureen Afroz declined to make any comment, saying the matter is under investigation.
In a Facebook post, she, however, claimed that propaganda is being spread against her.
A team of Gulshan Police Station arrested Oahiudul, also former acting Director General of National Security Intelligence (NSI) and former Director General of the Directorate of Immigration and Passports, from his Baridhara residence on April 24 last for his alleged involvement in crimes against humanity during the Liberation War in 1971.
Tribunal sources said Dr Tureen Afroz was assigned on November 11 last year to conduct the case against Oahidul.
She, however, met the accused in a city hotel after wearing a burqa.
Earlier in 2014, Prosecutor AKM Saiful Islam was removed from the prosecution team on the same charges.
- Most viewed
- 14 August Events
- 14 August Births
- 14 August Deaths
- Man gets 14 yrs jail for torturing wife over dowry
- Dhaka-Delhi relationship now at its best, says PM Hasina
- Bangabandhu struggled to establish Bangalee nation’s right: Speaker
- Kareena and Ranveer collaboration finally happening!
- Madonna still shocks with barrier-breaking lifestyle
- Google tracks your movements, like it or not
- Did you know Salman was the first choice to play Aishwarya’s brother in Josh?
- 9 August Events
- PM visits hospital to see Sechchasebak League leader and four injured students
- Love for ex boyfriend!
- Bangladeshi students encouraged to consider education in Australia
- My mother had capacity to take any decision: Prime Minister
- Govt working to strengthen democracy: Prime Minister
- 8 August Events
- Migrant boat sinks off Turkey killing 7 children, 2 women