Voting begins in Khulna City Corporation polls
Published : 15 May 2018, 11:12
Voting in the Khulna City Corporation (KCC) election began on Tuesday morning to elect its new mayor and councillors.
The balloting that began at 8am will continue till 4pm without any break.
Awami League’s Talukder Abdul Khalek casted his vote at the polling centre of Pioneer Girls’ High School around 8:07am.
A total of five mayoral candidates, 148 general councillor and 38 reserved-seat female councillor candidates are there in the election race.
The mayoral contenders are Awami League’s Talukder Abdul Khalek, Nazrul Islam Manju of BNP, Jatiya Party’s Shafiqur Rahman Mushfiq, Islami Andolan Bangladesh’s Maulana Mozammil Haque and CPB’s Mizanur Rahman Babu.
They are contesting the election with their respective party’s symbol, which is the first in the Khulna City Corporation.
The Election Commission has taken additional security measures to avoid any kind of violence with the city going under a security blanket ahead of the much-awaited election.
A total of 493,093 voters 248,986 males and 244,107 females are expected to exercise their franchise in the election.
Of the total 289 polling stations, 234 have been considered vulnerable.
Some 9,500 policemen, and members of Border Guard Bangladesh, Armed Police Battalion and Ansar remained deployed in the election areas.
Sixteen platoons of BGB consisting of 640 members remained deployed from Sunday afternoon while 31 magistrates remained stationed in as many wards.
- Most viewed
- 5 special Eid-ul-Adha Dishe for guest
- Mother, daughter found dead in Bogra
- Khaleda, Tarique directly involved in Aug 21 grenade attack: PM
- PM pays tribute to August 21 grenade attack victims
- 21 April Events
- 21 April Births
- 21 April Deaths
- Weinstein accuser Asia Argento paid teen who made sex assault claim
- Cabinet approves ‘Sarkari Chakori Ain, 2018’
- Girls' supremacy finally over
- Saff U-15 girls eye more glory in final today
- Priyanka Chopra, Nick Jonas are officially engaged
- The 18th Asian Games got off to a glorious start
- U-15 girls take on Bhutan in SAFF semi
- SAFF U-15 girls reach final beating Bhutan 5-0
- Youth found dead at Chattogram hotel
- Huma Qureshi didn’t care about working with Khans
- Woman held in city for ‘spreading rumour on Facebook’