Hasina-Mamata meeting in Kolkata today
Published : 26 May 2018, 11:48
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee will hold talks in Kolkata today (Saturday), according to Indian media reports.
Mamata on Thursday said she would hold a meeting with the Bangladesh prime minister on Saturday before Hasina leaves for home after concluding her two-day visit.
The West Bengal chief minister said she maintains a very cordial relationship with Hasina and that no geographical or political boundary can create differences between West Bengal and Bangladesh as they have the same culture and language.
“I admire Hasina-di the most and she loves me. Our relationship is very honest and everlasting.
I hope the relation between India and Bangladesh will grow stronger with time,” she said.
Mamata also participated in the convocation of the Visva-Bharati.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Sheikh Hasina addressed the programme.
Sheikh Hasina reached Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport, Kolkata on Friday morning. The prime minister was escorted to Santiniketan by a helicopter of Indian Air Force.
Sheikh Hasina attended the convocation of Visva-Bharati University as a special guest on Friday morning.
Later, Hasina and her Indian counterpart Narendra Modi jointly inaugurated Bangladesh Bhaban at the university. Mamata was present there.
The two premiers held a bilateral meeting at the Bangladesh Bhaban after its inauguration.
The Bangladesh premier will receive DLit degree at the convocation of Kazi Nazrul University on Saturday.
Iconic actress Shormila Tagore will also receive DLit degree at the convocation.
The Bangladesh premier is scheduled to visit Netaji Subash Chandra Bose Museum in the afternoon.
Sheikh Hasina is scheduled to leave Kolkata for home on Saturday night, wrapping up her two-day India visit.
- Most viewed
- PM greets Raushan, Ershad on Eid-ul-Azha
- Kangana’s look in Manikarnika is grabbing eyeballs
- Tips to feel rejuvenated and look gorgeous naturally in hectic festive season
- Cabbage, broccoli could prevent colon cancer
- Kim Jong-nam murder: 'Enough evidence' for women to go on trial
- PM pays tributes to Golam Sarwar
- U-15 girls take on Bhutan in SAFF semi
- 16 August Events
- 16 August Births
- Bangladeshi women footballers beat Pakistan by 14-0
- PM greets U-15 women footballers for victory over Pakistan
- Sexual violence a tool to force ethnic minorities to migrate: Experts
- Prevent cancer, save life
- US judge halts mother-daughter deportation
- Williams rebounds from worst loss to advance in Cincy tennis
- BD beat Nepal 3-0 to emerge group top in SAFF U-15 Women’s championship
- With new category, Oscars are now a popularity contest
- Tofu, soy milk can boost bone strength in women