World Bank president lauds Bangladesh's socioeconomic progress
Published : 21 Sep 2016, 19:43
World Bank President Dr Jim Yong Kim has highly appreciated Bangladesh's stunning development on socioeconomic front saying poverty reduction and women empowerment in the country particularly impressed him very much.
"I always project Bangladesh's success story on every occasion," he said when he paid a courtesy call on Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina at her hotel here on Tuesday.
Kim said Bangladesh's stunning achievements in poverty reduction and women empowerment were very impressive.
After the meeting, PM's Press Secretary Ihsanul Karim briefed reporters.
The World Bank president said his organization would continue to work with Bangladesh and he planned to visit this South Asia nation next month.
The prime minister stressed the need for consultation with her government when any country or development agency undertakes any plan or project, especially river training.
"We understand our requirements . . . the project or the plan would be suitable for Bangladesh when it is taken after consultation with the government," she said.
Elaborating her government's achievement in different sectors, Sheikh Hasina said the government is giving priority to energy sector and river dredging.
While talking about the BBIN and BCIM Economic Corridor, the prime minister said these initiatives were taken for economic development and prosperity of the region.
Referring to Bangladesh's success in areas of women empowerment and education, she said the trend of participation of the women in Bangladesh's politics increased to a great extent due to various initiatives of the present government.
Twenty-one female members have been directly elected in present parliament, she said, adding 30 percent seats in the local government bodies like Union, Upazila, Municipality and City Corporations were kept reserved for the women.
These initiatives, she said, elevated women's position to a higher level in all other sectors like administration, judiciary, education, armed forces and in law-enforcement agencies.
PM's ICT Advisor Sajeeb Wazed Joy, Foreign Minister AH Mahmood Ali, State Minister for Foreign Affairs Md Shahriar Alam, Principal Secretary Md Abul Kalam Azad and secretaries concerned were present.
- Most viewed
- Hasina on TIME’s list of 100 most influential people
- Make multilateral trade regime more inclusive, PM to Commonwealth
- Queen tips Prince Charles to follow her as Commonwealth head
- Sufia Kamal Hall: Four students thrown out late at night
- PM calls for Commonwealth’s comprehensive reform
- Hasina, Modi hold meeting; discuss Rohingya issue
- 20 April Births
- 20 April Deaths
- 20 April Events
- Barbara Bush 'in failing health' won't seek further treatment
- 1st female BD photographer selected for Joop Swart Masterclass
- PM to join Saudi-led military drill's concluding ceremony today
- Pahela Baishakh being celebrated
- Spread history and legacy of Mujibnagar govt: Muna Tasneem
- Former US first lady Barbara Bush dies
- Bollywood celebs protest to seek justice for rape victims
- To soften image, Kim Jong Un turns spotlight to sister, wife
- PM seeks more investment from top global business leaders