Malaysia to impose tourism tax
Published : 17 Jun 2017, 16:20
The Malaysian government is going ahead with its tourism tax to be imposed from July 1.
The country’s Deputy Prime Minister Ahmad Zahid Hamidi, who disclosed this on Thursday, said more funds were needed to support tourism promotion activities.
“At present, some states receive little (funds), some get more,” he said. Under the new tax, hotel guests will be charged between RM2.50 and RM20 for every night’s stay, depending on the classification of the hotel.
Ahmad Zahid disclosed that the Cabinet meeting on Wednesday directed that the tourism tax spat involving Tourism and Culture Minister Nazri Aziz and the Sarawak and Sabah governments be put to an end.
“The Prime Minister chaired the Cabinet meeting and I have personally met with the Chief Ministers of Sarawak and Sabah.
“So the chapter is closed,’’ he told reporters after closing an Islamic education workshop.
Sarawak Tourism, Arts, Culture, Youth and Sports Minister Abdul Karim Rahman Hamzah had called on the government to defer the implementation of the tourism tax in Sarawak and Sabah. This invited criticism from Nazri.
Ahmad Zahid also said RM10 million will be given to the Advisory Board for the Coordination of Islamic Education for the enhancement of Islamic educational institutions.
The workshop approved several resolutions, including one on a special mechanism to strengthen Federal-state cooperation in Islamic educational development.
Source: the star
- Most viewed
- Eat right and stay youthful
- Feeling bad without your phone?
- Papaya: Top five health and beauty benefits
- Modelling groomed me for acting: Kriti Sanon
- The mystical scent of a woman
- Beware of processed food!
- Narayanganj 7-murder cases: High Court upholds death penalty for 15
- Indian court rules against instant divorce
- Weekend delight: Unwind with Minty Mushroom Croquettes
- Priyanka Chopra told ‘not to return India’
- Case filed over Pallabi student rape
- 19 August Births
- 2 girls return after languishing in Indian jail
- Teacher arrested for ‘raping Pallabi schoolgirl’
- 19 August Events
- Easy ways to stop sneezing
- Primary school teacher ‘gang raped’ in classroom
- Prospect of progress must not be ruined: PM