Malaysia to impose tourism tax
Published : 17 Jun 2017, 16:20
The Malaysian government is going ahead with its tourism tax to be imposed from July 1.
The country’s Deputy Prime Minister Ahmad Zahid Hamidi, who disclosed this on Thursday, said more funds were needed to support tourism promotion activities.
“At present, some states receive little (funds), some get more,” he said. Under the new tax, hotel guests will be charged between RM2.50 and RM20 for every night’s stay, depending on the classification of the hotel.
Ahmad Zahid disclosed that the Cabinet meeting on Wednesday directed that the tourism tax spat involving Tourism and Culture Minister Nazri Aziz and the Sarawak and Sabah governments be put to an end.
“The Prime Minister chaired the Cabinet meeting and I have personally met with the Chief Ministers of Sarawak and Sabah.
“So the chapter is closed,’’ he told reporters after closing an Islamic education workshop.
Sarawak Tourism, Arts, Culture, Youth and Sports Minister Abdul Karim Rahman Hamzah had called on the government to defer the implementation of the tourism tax in Sarawak and Sabah. This invited criticism from Nazri.
Ahmad Zahid also said RM10 million will be given to the Advisory Board for the Coordination of Islamic Education for the enhancement of Islamic educational institutions.
The workshop approved several resolutions, including one on a special mechanism to strengthen Federal-state cooperation in Islamic educational development.
Source: the star
- Most viewed
- Road crash kills 16 garments workers in Rangpur
- 24 June Deaths
- 24 June Births
- 24 June Events
- ASI sued over rape in Chittagong
- Guides to pack jewellery while travelling
- New project launched to mitigate NY sound pollution
- Eurozone business activity slows: Markit survey
- Choi Soon-sil: South Korean ex-president's friend jailed
- Protect yourself from deadly brain tumours
- PM seeks Moroccan investment in economic zones
- Banani rape indictment hearing Jul 9
- 5 to die for killing housewife after rape in C’nawabganj
- NASA tests flexible solar array on space station
- Beyonce gives birth to twins
- Priyanka Chopra kicks off shooting for her second hollywood film
- Folk queen Momtaz brings two new songs this Eid
- PM hosts iftar for eminent personalities, poets, artists