List of top 100 loan defaulters placed in parliament
Published : 11 Jul 2017, 12:11
Finance minister AMA Muhtih on Monday placed a list of the country's top 100 loan defaulters in parliament.
"As per the data of the Credit Information Bureau (CIB) of Bangladesh Bank, the amount of classified loan in banks and financial institutions is Tk 1,113.47 billion as of April 2017," he said
The minister was replying to a starred question from Awami League MP Mohibur Rahman Manik (Sunamganj-5).
According to the list placed by the finance minister, the top 10 loan defaulters include Mohammad Elias Brothers (PVT) Ltd, Jasmir Vegetable Oil Ltd, Max Spinning Mills Ltd, Benetex Industries Ltd, Dhaka Trading House, Anowara Spinning Mills, Yasir Enterprise, Quantum Power System Ltd, MM Vegetable Oil Products Ltd and Alppa Composite Towel Limited.
In reply to an unstarred question from ruling party MP M Abdul Latif (Chittagong-11), AMA Muhtih said the government has taken steps to bring all branches of the state-owned banks under online banking system.
As part of the measures, all branches of Agrani Bank, Rupali Bank and Basic Bank have already been brought under the Core Banking System and they are now providing online banking services, he said adding that three banks have 925, 562 and 68 branches respectively.
Of the other state-owned banks, 875 out of 1,212 branches of Sonali bank, 862 out of 907 branches of Janata Bank and 38 out of 39 branches of Bangladesh Development Bank have already introduced online banking services, Muhith said.
Besides, the work is underway to bring the remaining branches of the three banks under the CSB within a shortest time, he said hoping to complete the task by December next.
- Most viewed
- PM rules out major foodgrain shortfall in the country
- Tonu’s family called to Dhaka for probe: Kamal
- Sharapova in fraud probe
- Group calls for Indonesian forces to stop virginity tests
- Skincare myths demystified
- Sleeping on back can up stillbirth risk
- Suu Kyi hopes to strike deal with Bangladesh this week on Rohingya repatriation
- Germany’s Merkel ‘prefers new vote’ after coalition talks fail
- Sonia slams govt's arrogance
- Sessions vows Clinton probe on emails
- Stay alert against defeated forces: PM
- Sunny Leone opens up on casting couch in Bollywood
- Jessia to join grand finale of Miss World, 2017
- PM witnesses Dhaka Opera House design
- This is when women are most likely to cheat on their partner
- Jolie condemns sexual violence against Rohingyas
- Germany, Sweden, EU extend strong support to Bangladesh for Rohingyas
- Man to die for killing wife in Chittagong