'NBR to consider reform of tax slabs of bidi, cigar'
Published : 06 May 2018, 21:22
Tax slabs of bidi and cigarette will be restructured in the upcoming budget for fiscal 2018-19, National Board of Revenue (NBR) chairman Md Mosharraf Hossain Bhuiyan said today.
Speaking at a pre-budget discussion here, the NBR chairman said, "We support the proposal of increasing the price of bidis and cigarettes and restructure the tax slabs. Proper steps will be taken in this regard."
During the meeting, Anti-Tobacco Media Alliance (ATMA) said that price of 10-stick low tier cigarette is Taka 27 and Taka 35 and proposed to bring down to two slabs (low and high tiers) from existing four-slab system.
ATMA claimed that changing the number of slabs will push up the price of both bidis and cigarettes.
Some other organisations, including SME Foundation, Bangladesh Paper Mill Association, also take part in the meeting.
SME Foundation proposed lowering the import duty on poly-carbonate, the main ingredient of making electric equipment, minimising duty on polymer to three percent from existing five percent, waiver of duty on import of agricultural equipment, increasing incentive to 30 percent from 20 percent for the export of handicraft products.
Bangladesh Paper Mills Association leader Mostafa Kamal Mohiuudin alleged that bond facilities were being misused in the paper industry as some importers were importing white paper in the name of packaging paper.
He demanded withdrawal of VAT on some educational materials.
- Most viewed
- 14 August Events
- 14 August Births
- 14 August Deaths
- Man gets 14 yrs jail for torturing wife over dowry
- Dhaka-Delhi relationship now at its best, says PM Hasina
- Bangabandhu struggled to establish Bangalee nation’s right: Speaker
- Kareena and Ranveer collaboration finally happening!
- Madonna still shocks with barrier-breaking lifestyle
- Google tracks your movements, like it or not
- Did you know Salman was the first choice to play Aishwarya’s brother in Josh?
- 9 August Events
- PM visits hospital to see Sechchasebak League leader and four injured students
- Love for ex boyfriend!
- Bangladeshi students encouraged to consider education in Australia
- My mother had capacity to take any decision: Prime Minister
- Govt working to strengthen democracy: Prime Minister
- 8 August Events
- Migrant boat sinks off Turkey killing 7 children, 2 women