Islami Chhatri Sangstha activist dies at DMCH of burns
Published : 05 Sep 2016, 15:03
Islami Chhatri Sangstha (ICS) activist Fahmida Hasan Nisha, burnt during an explosion in her Comilla hostel last month, has succumbed to burn injuries at Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH).
Nisha, a student of economics department at Comilla University, was under treatment at DMCH's burns unit for the past two weeks.
She died early on Monday, the unit's resident physician Partha Shankar Pal told "She had suffered 55 percent burns."
Nisha was injured in an explosion at the Proshanti Chhatri Nibas, located near Comilla University, on Aug 23.
Police had suspected the explosion was caused by some ‘high-power liquid explosives’.
Kotbarhi police outpost’s in-charge Sub-Inspector (SI) Shahidul Bashar lodged an anti-terrorism case the next day at Comilla Sadar South Police Station.
Three ICS activists including Nisha were named in the case along with several unknown persons.
The other two named were the university's ICT department student Nur Nahar and accounting department student Morjina Aktar.
Chhatri Sangstha is the female student wing of the Jamaat-e-Islami, which opposed Bangladesh’s independence during the 1971 Liberation War.
“We think Nisha was doing something with some high-powered liquid explosives. The blast in her room had triggered another explosion in the next room,” Comilla’s Superintendent of Police (SP) Shah Abid Hossain had said after the explosion.
- Most viewed
- Over 100 die in Malaysian immigration camps in 2 years
- Shanghai streets rule by catwalks of stylish dogs
- Police drive at Nasirpur ‘militant den’ resumes
- ‘No turning back’ as Brexit triggered
- Summer skin care tips you must follow this season
- 5 fashion trends you need this summer
- Melania Trump Makes Case For Women's 'Empowerment'
- Comilla city polls begin
- 30 March Deaths
- First child marriage under special provision of new law held in Bangladesh
- 'Not consulted by Centre on Teesta, state's interests come first'
- Fire at Bangladesh Bank building
- Ex-husband of Arifa caught in Tangail
- Police name London attacker as British-born Khalid Masood
- Hawaii lawmaker resigns from Republican Party
- Schoolgirls deployed to collect toll for event
- IS claims responsibility for Sylhet blasts
- Bangladesh female hockey champs epitomize Special Olympics ideal