Islami Chhatri Sangstha activist dies at DMCH of burns
Published : 05 Sep 2016, 15:03
Islami Chhatri Sangstha (ICS) activist Fahmida Hasan Nisha, burnt during an explosion in her Comilla hostel last month, has succumbed to burn injuries at Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH).
Nisha, a student of economics department at Comilla University, was under treatment at DMCH's burns unit for the past two weeks.
She died early on Monday, the unit's resident physician Partha Shankar Pal told "She had suffered 55 percent burns."
Nisha was injured in an explosion at the Proshanti Chhatri Nibas, located near Comilla University, on Aug 23.
Police had suspected the explosion was caused by some ‘high-power liquid explosives’.
Kotbarhi police outpost’s in-charge Sub-Inspector (SI) Shahidul Bashar lodged an anti-terrorism case the next day at Comilla Sadar South Police Station.
Three ICS activists including Nisha were named in the case along with several unknown persons.
The other two named were the university's ICT department student Nur Nahar and accounting department student Morjina Aktar.
Chhatri Sangstha is the female student wing of the Jamaat-e-Islami, which opposed Bangladesh’s independence during the 1971 Liberation War.
“We think Nisha was doing something with some high-powered liquid explosives. The blast in her room had triggered another explosion in the next room,” Comilla’s Superintendent of Police (SP) Shah Abid Hossain had said after the explosion.
- Most viewed
- Female teacher engaged in sex with student in plane toilet
- What essential qualities make for a happy, long-term relationship? We find out
- 8 reasons why momos are dangerous for you
- Woman crushed under train in Chapainawabganj
- ‘Make child marriage socially unacceptable’
- 28 July Deaths
- 28 July Births
- 28 July Events
- 'Lipstick Under My Burkha' success a win for cinema: Ekta Kapoor
- 22 July Deaths
- Vidya Balan, Rahul Bose tie up for a cause!
- Minneapolis police chief resigns after Australian woman's shooting
- Sunny Leone is the new mom in B-town!
- 22 July Births
- People to bring AL back to power: PM
- Man, daughter-in-law sentenced to life term in Laxmipur rape case
- Angelina Jolie admits to ‘hardest time’ after separation
- Microcredit programmes turn many women self-employed