Islami Chhatri Sangstha activist dies at DMCH of burns
Published : 05 Sep 2016, 15:03
Islami Chhatri Sangstha (ICS) activist Fahmida Hasan Nisha, burnt during an explosion in her Comilla hostel last month, has succumbed to burn injuries at Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH).
Nisha, a student of economics department at Comilla University, was under treatment at DMCH's burns unit for the past two weeks.
She died early on Monday, the unit's resident physician Partha Shankar Pal told "She had suffered 55 percent burns."
Nisha was injured in an explosion at the Proshanti Chhatri Nibas, located near Comilla University, on Aug 23.
Police had suspected the explosion was caused by some ‘high-power liquid explosives’.
Kotbarhi police outpost’s in-charge Sub-Inspector (SI) Shahidul Bashar lodged an anti-terrorism case the next day at Comilla Sadar South Police Station.
Three ICS activists including Nisha were named in the case along with several unknown persons.
The other two named were the university's ICT department student Nur Nahar and accounting department student Morjina Aktar.
Chhatri Sangstha is the female student wing of the Jamaat-e-Islami, which opposed Bangladesh’s independence during the 1971 Liberation War.
“We think Nisha was doing something with some high-powered liquid explosives. The blast in her room had triggered another explosion in the next room,” Comilla’s Superintendent of Police (SP) Shah Abid Hossain had said after the explosion.
- Most viewed
- Signal 3 to continue for maritime ports
- Schoolgirl foils forced marriage
- Mexico: Strong earthquake topples buildings, killing scores (Video)
- Women empowerment must to achieve SDGs: PM
- 'Resolve Rohingya crisis before it’s too late'
- 20 September Deaths
- 20 September Births
- 20 September Events
- Sunny benefits of sunflower seeds
- Friend’s kidney helps Selena Gomez fight lupus
- Priyanka meets Jordan's Queen Rania
- Public property plunderers must face legal actions: PM
- Woman dies for ‘medical negligence’ after childbirth
- Trump assures PM of all supports on Rohingya issue
- Woman burnt to death ‘by husband’ for failing to get MBBS seat
- Schoolgirl hacked in Savar, stalker held
- PM reaffirms Bangladesh's commitment to end sexual abuse of peacekeepers
- 16 September Births