Muhith urges students to make use of Govt-sponsored ICT facilities
Published : 08 Apr 2017, 18:08
Finance Minister Abul Maal Abdul Muhith today called upon the students to develop themselves properly, availing of the government-sponsored ICT facilities in universities, to face the challenges of the current century.
"The government has undertaken various steps to turn Bangladesh into a digital country. So, you have to make the best use of the digital devices for facing the challenges of the current century," he said speaking as chief guest at a freshers reception at Jahanhgirnagar University (JU).
Held at JU Jahir Raihan Auditorium, the function was chaired by JU Vice-Chancellor Professor Dr Farzana Islam while Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET) Professor Dr M Kaykobad spoke as the special guest.
Highlighting the government's successes in different sectors, the minister said, "The power generation capacity has increased to 13,260 megawatt. And more than 5 crore people upgraded to middle class from lower class during the tenure of this government".
Muhith said the government has achieved a remarkable success in resolving the maritime boundary disputes with Myanmar and India.
The per capita income has increased to US dollar 1,314 and the volume of current foreign reserve is 25 billion dollar, he said adding that the world witnessed an amazing success in gender parity, women empowerment and in fall in child and maternity mortality rates in Bangladesh.
The minister urged the students to be aware about those, who want to interrupt the country's development activities.
In the function, JU registrar Abu Bakar Siddique placed the students to the deans of six faculties and directors of two institutes while the deans of the faculties and directors of the institutes received their respective students.
JU VC Professor Farzana Islam administered an oath to the freshers and urged them to be equipped with the light wisdom.
Pro-VC Professor Dr Abul Hossain, Treasurer Professor Dr Abul Khair, Student Welfare and Counseling Center Director Professor Dr. Rasheda Akhter and Proctor Professor Dr Tapan Kumar Shaha also addressed the function, among others.
- Most viewed
- Schoolgirl injured in stalker attack
- Woman with 60kg leg at Dhaka medical
- Housewife beaten dead, husband held
- Eat right and stay youthful
- Feeling bad without your phone?
- Papaya: Top five health and beauty benefits
- Modelling groomed me for acting: Kriti Sanon
- The mystical scent of a woman
- Beware of processed food!
- Priyanka Chopra told ‘not to return India’
- Case filed over Pallabi student rape
- 19 August Births
- 2 girls return after languishing in Indian jail
- Teacher arrested for ‘raping Pallabi schoolgirl’
- 19 August Events
- Easy ways to stop sneezing
- 2 schoolgirls 'gang-raped'
- Primary school teacher ‘gang raped’ in classroom