Syed Shamsul Haque's 81st birth anniversary today
Published : 27 Dec 2016, 12:54
The 81st birth anniversary of versatile Bengali poet Syed Shamsul Haque will be observed today.
To mark the day, Jatiya Kabita Parishad will stage discussion, reminiscence and poem recitation at Poet Shamsur Rahman auditorium of Bangla Academy at 11 am which will be joined by noted personalities of the country.
Bangla Academy Director General Shamsuzzaman Khan, poets Rabiul Hussain, Rubi Rahman, Habibullah Siraji, Muhammad Nurul Huda and writer Anwara Syed Haque, among others, will join the function. Jatiya Kabita Parishad President Poet Muhammad Samad will chair it.
Born in Kurigram on December 27, 1935, Syed Shamsul Haq was a poet,
lyricist and writer. He was awarded Bangla Academy Award in 1966 (the youngest among all to receive it), Ekushey Padak in 1984 and Independence Day Award in 2000 by the Bangladesh Government for his contributions to Bangla literature.
Haq wrote poetry, fiction, plays (mostly in verse), Music lyrics and essays. His literary works were included in the curriculum of school level, secondary, higher secondary and graduation level Bengali literature in the country.
Haque wrote songs including "Jar Chaya Poreche Monero Aynate" and "Haire Manush Rongin Fanush". His novels Nishiddha Loban (1990) and Khelaram Khele Ja (1991) and plays Payer Awaj Paoa Jay and Nuruldiner Sara Jibon were highly acclaimed.
Haque's poetry included Ekoda Ek Rajje (1961), Boishekhe Rochito Ponktimala (1969), Birotihin Utsob (1969), Protidhonigon (1976), Opor Purush (1978) and Kobita Samagra (2007).
- Most viewed
- Weinstein accuser Asia Argento paid teen who made sex assault claim
- Cabinet approves ‘Sarkari Chakori Ain, 2018’
- Pregnant New Zealand minister cycles to delivery ward
- German journalist says Turkey court lifts travel ban
- PM receives two UNICEF awards for campaign against early marriage
- Multi-storey buildings to replace city slums: Prime Minister
- 20 August Events
- 20 August Births
- 20 August Deaths
- Williams rebounds from worst loss to advance in Cincy tennis
- Sheikh Hasina to inaugurate 23 bridges, Fatehpur Railway Overpass
- BD beat Nepal 3-0 to emerge group top in SAFF U-15 Women’s championship
- U-15 girls take on Bhutan in SAFF semi
- Caned by headmaster, schoolgirl kills self
- Antibiotic resistance genes in air pose threat to human health: Study
- Saff U-15 girls eye more glory in final today
- Priyanka Chopra, Nick Jonas are officially engaged
- Girls' supremacy finally over