Begum Jaan: I am confused about the definition of feminist, says Vidya Balan
Published : 12 Apr 2017, 14:23
With her roles in Ishqiya (2010), The Dirty Picture (2011) and Kahaani (2012), Vidya Balan’s on-screen performances had become synonymous with ‘women-oriented’ roles. The Dirty Picture, which was inspired by the life of the South Indian actor Silk Smitha, won her the National Award.
Now, her next film Begum Jaan will see her playing the “most powerful” role in her career. “I don’t know about brave, but this is definitely the most powerful role I have played, or let me put it this way: I have played strong characters but this is the most powerful one. I feel I haven’t seen this powerful a character on or off screen,” says Vidya, who plays the role of a brothel owner.
She says, “I am confused about the definition of a feminist, because it has become so random. Being a feminist is being someone who knows that she has equal rights, opportunities, and therefore, a right to live her life on her own terms. But the good thing is that feminism is in our collective consciousness.”
- Most viewed
- HC to hear Khaleda’s bail petitions tomorrow
- You'll Never Believe How Tasty Healthy Pancakes Can Be
- The Simple Things That Can Easily Lift Your Mood Up
- Priyanka visits Rohingya refugee camps in Bangladesh
- 5 killed in Bandarban landslide
- PM draws picture on 'Muktijoddhya'
- 34 new experiments to launch on NASA cargo ship
- 9 die due to Nipah virus outbreak in India
- Prime Minister talks tough against drugs
- Mallika Sherawat locks herself in a cage for a cause
- Around 60 babies a day born in Rohingya camps in Bangladesh: UNICEF
- PM Sheikh Hasina’s Homecoming Day Today
- SC decision on Khaleda’s bail Wednesday
- Rape accused killed in Feni ‘gunfight’
- Saima for incorporating mental healthcare in disaster management plan
- Why Cannes outings don't affect Aishwarya
- Militancy now under control: Prime Minister
- Senate votes to confirm Haspel as CIA`s first female chief