Heart health: How to boost potassium intake
Published : 02 Nov 2017, 14:50
Potassium is an essential mineral that some people tend to lack. It is essential for the transmission of nerve impulses, as well as muscle contraction (particularly the heart) and good kidney function, and plays a role in fighting high blood pressure, a major risk factor for cardiovascular disease and stroke. World Stroke Day is October 29.
Potassium is naturally present in pulses, such as white beans, chickpeas and lentils, vegetables (chard, spinach, potatoes, cabbage, mushrooms), fruit (avocado, banana, apricots, citrus fruit, blackcurrants), and dried fruit and nuts (walnuts, almonds, pistachios, dates, figs).
It is also found in meat and fish, especially oily fish (salmon, sardines and mackerel), as well as chocolate and wholegrain cereals.
Only fats such as butter, crème fraiche, oil and margarine don't contain this mineral.
The top 10 most potassium-rich foods include lentils (810mg per 100g), dried dates (790mg), prunes (732mg), almonds (705mg), spinach (662mg), avocado (650mg), chestnuts (600mg), mushrooms (520mg), walnuts (450mg) and apricots (440mg).
Potassium, which helps prevent muscle cramps, is particularly beneficial for athletes to help counterbalance the production of lactic acid when muscles work hard. Chia seeds, for example, contain more potassium (407g/100g) than bananas (360g/100g) and can be particularly beneficial for the recovery phase.
Recent studies show that low dietary potassium can lead to calcified arteries and aortic stiffness.
- Most viewed
- British PM’s trade envoy Rushanara in city
- Housewife gang-raped in Chattogram
- 22 July Events
- 22 July Births
- 22 July Deaths
- Want to work for people until death: Prime Minister
- Rabindra-Nazrul Jayanti celebrated in London
- People stream to Suhrawardy Udyan for Hasina's reception
- Temperature may fall by (1-2)°C over country
- ‘We’re on top of the world anyways’: Croatia’s president
- Use jute bags, break up with plastics: Prime Minister
- AL to hold mass reception to Prime Minister today
- France crowned World Cup 2018 champions after beating Croatia
- Bangladeshi Sharmin wins Commonwealth recognition
- British PM’s trade envoy Rushanara due today
- HSC, equivalent exams results tomorrow
- World Cup Pussy Riot pitch intruders jailed for 15 days
- 'I had to make my kidnapper fall in love with me': Chloe Ayling