Ivanka Trump to attend 2018 Olympics
Published : 07 Feb 2018, 12:21
Ivanka Trump is expected to travel to South Korea for the closing ceremony of the 2018 Winter Olympics.
The White House confirmed that the first daughter will lead the US delegation in Pyeongchang.
She will also reportedly attend several of the sporting events leading up to the closing ceremony.
Meanwhile, Vice-President Mike Pence said he would not rule out talks with North Korea officials when he attends the Winter Olympics this week.
She was asked to attend the ceremony by her father, President Donald Trump, and the Olympics Committee, according to a White House official.
Ms Trump worked with the International Olympic Committee to bring the 2028 Summer Games to the city of Los Angeles, the official added.
Mr Pence will lead the US delegation to the opening ceremony, and will join the top US general in South Korea as well as other military and diplomatic officials.
The Winter Olympics take place as tensions have eased between North and South Korea. The two nations are expected to march under one flag at the opening ceremony and agreed to field a joint team in women's ice hockey.
Olympic officials are also scrambling to contain the spread of a norovirus after 41 members of security staff reported having symptoms of vomiting and diarrhoea.
Some 1,200 of the guards have been withdrawn from Olympic sites.
- Most viewed
- Priyanka Chopra, Nick Jonas are officially engaged
- Huma Qureshi didn’t care about working with Khans
- Woman commits suicide after ‘stabbing husband’ in city
- Saff U-15 girls eye more glory in final today
- 18 August Events
- 18 August Births
- 18 August Deaths
- No cell phones at Deepika, Ranveer destination wedding
- Nick Jonas reaches India for engagement bash with Priyanka
- Williams rebounds from worst loss to advance in Cincy tennis
- Sheikh Hasina to inaugurate 23 bridges, Fatehpur Railway Overpass
- BD beat Nepal 3-0 to emerge group top in SAFF U-15 Women’s championship
- U-15 girls take on Bhutan in SAFF semi
- Caned by headmaster, schoolgirl kills self
- Antibiotic resistance genes in air pose threat to human health: Study
- Prime Minister pays homage to Bangabandhu in Tungipara
- Nation observes National Mourning Day today
- Speaker pays homage to Bangabandhu