Rickshaw drivers protest Kathua and Unnao rapes
Published : 25 Apr 2018, 00:55
A rickshaw driver's union called for a signature campaign protesting the brutal Kathua rape case on Monday morning. The rickshaw drivers were seen in uniform standing with placards outside Bandra railway station and were also shouting slogans in support of anti-rape culture in India. A few of the slogans were also made in support of the Unnao rape case that took place in Uttar Pradesh's Unnao district.
In the Kathua rape case, an eight-year-old girl was abducted, gang-raped and murdered in the northern state of Jammu and Kashmir, in January this year. The charge sheet filed, in the beginning of April, revealed the brutalities subjected to the minor in Kathua that allegedly took place inside a temple, not far from the residence of the child. While in the Unnao case, an 18-year-old woman was allegedly raped by BJP MLA Kuldeep Singh Sengar in 2017. The father of the rape survivor died on April 9 in police custody.
In the aftermath of the rapes of minors in India, protests have erupted all over the country with a number of marches to Azad Maidan here in Mumbai. A protest was also led by the opposition party's leader, Rahul Gandhi that led a midnight vigil to India Gate in New Delhi on April 11. Organisations like Centre for Promoting Democracy, Bharatiya Muslim Mahila Andolan, Indian Muslims for Secular Democracy, Bharat Bachao Andolan, Milli Council and Zero Tolerance were among the forefront of those protesting the rape cases.
- Most viewed
- Seafood-rich diet may up sexual intimacy, pregnancy chances
- Priyanka Chopra left Cox`s Bazar for Dhaka
- Tasfia murder case: One arrested
- Canada to work for Rohingya women rights
- UN body’s request for report on rape of Rohingya women
- ‘The world needs to care’: Priyanka (VIDEO)
- 24 May Events
- 24 May Births
- 24 May Deaths
- Senate votes to confirm Haspel as CIA`s first female chief
- 10 Tips to Pre-Prep Meals for Ramadan to Save Time and Effort
- Ramadan Recipes: Baked Potatoes
- Kamala Bhattacharya: First female martyr in Bengali Language Movement
- Royal wedding 2018: Finishing touches ahead of big day
- Housewife beaten dead ‘by husband’ in Benapole
- 10 killed in Texas school shooting
- Housewife found dead in Panchagarh
- More than 100 killed in Cuba Plane crash (Video)