Student, Trolled For Selling Fish, Donates Rs. 1.5 Lakh For Flood Aid
Published : 19 Aug 2018, 12:29
As Kerala is struggling to cope with the flood fury, 21-year-old college student, who was viciously trolled for selling fish to meet her educational needs, has contributed Rs. 1.5 lakh towards the Chief Minister's Disaster Relief Fund.
Ms Hanan, a college student from Kochi, said the money was donated by various people after her struggle to fund her studies and take care of her family was widely shared on the social media.
"I had got the amount from people and I am happy to give back the amount to the needy," she said.
Ms Hanan, who also worked as an anchor and flower girl for programmes to make ends meet, requested people to donate for the relief works.
A B.Sc student at a private college at Thodupuzha in Idukki district, Hanan's story had gone viral after a Malayalam daily reported her struggles.
But, a section of social media users expressed doubts about her struggles and claimed it was "fake."
Besides Ms Hanan, people from various walks of life are generously contributing money and various essentials for helping the needy.
Mr Sajeesh, a government employee and husband of nurse Lini Puthussery, who died of Nipah after she contracted the deadly virus from a patient, donated his first salary of Rs. 25,000 to the relief fund.
The Kerala government had given Mr Sajeesh a job in the health sector in recognition of nurse Lini's selfless service.
Sixty eight-year-old Rohini from Thalassery in Kannur district, who draws a monthly pension of Rs. 600 and has no other source of income, contributed Rs. 1000 online to the relief fund.
- Most viewed
- Doob to represent Bangladesh in 91st Oscar
- Prime Minister leaves London for New York
- Rock your locks with stylish chic buns
- Tempting sev puri to satisfy your craving
- James Bond to be back in 2020
- Mother ‘hacked dead’ by ‘drug addict’ son in Kushtia
- 23 September Events
- 23 September Births
- 23 September Deaths
- Instant triple talaq an offence in India
- Seven-day skin care routine for lovely looks
- Prime Minister to address 73rd Session UNGA September 27
- PM leaves for London Friday en route to NY to join 73rd UNGA
- Bangladesh hand Lebanon 8-0 thrashing
- PM unveils ‘World Skills Bangladesh’ logo
- FIFA to upgrade flights, raise prize money for Women's World Cup
- Virtual or real? Fashion world split over digital supermodels
- Hasina, Modi to open Bangladesh-India oil pipeline today