Voting in last phase of UP polls begins
Published : 04 Jun 2016, 18:06
The voting in the last phase polls to over 710 Union Parishads (Ups) across the country began this morning.
The balloting that began at 8 am will continue till 4 pm without any break.
All out preparations including stringent security measures have been taken to hold the elections in a free, fair, peaceful and festive manner.
Around 33,000 candidates, including the contesters for the post of union council chairmen and general and members in reserved seat are vying for.
The government has announced a public holiday in the poll areas on the day.
Nearly one crore voters will franchise their voting rights in the last phase of UP elections.
EC sources said around two lakh members of the law enforcement agencies including the plain clothed detectives will keep vigil to ensure peaceful atmosphere in and around the polling centers. Besides, mobile courts led magistrates will remain active during the polls.
- Most viewed
- 5 special Eid-ul-Adha Dishe for guest
- Mother, daughter found dead in Bogra
- Khaleda, Tarique directly involved in Aug 21 grenade attack: PM
- PM pays tribute to August 21 grenade attack victims
- 21 April Events
- 21 April Births
- 21 April Deaths
- Weinstein accuser Asia Argento paid teen who made sex assault claim
- Cabinet approves ‘Sarkari Chakori Ain, 2018’
- Priyanka Chopra, Nick Jonas are officially engaged
- Huma Qureshi didn’t care about working with Khans
- Girls' supremacy finally over
- Saff U-15 girls eye more glory in final today
- The 18th Asian Games got off to a glorious start
- U-15 girls take on Bhutan in SAFF semi
- SAFF U-15 girls reach final beating Bhutan 5-0
- Youth found dead at Chattogram hotel
- Woman held in city for ‘spreading rumour on Facebook’