Voting in last phase of UP polls begins
Published : 04 Jun 2016, 18:06
The voting in the last phase polls to over 710 Union Parishads (Ups) across the country began this morning.
The balloting that began at 8 am will continue till 4 pm without any break.
All out preparations including stringent security measures have been taken to hold the elections in a free, fair, peaceful and festive manner.
Around 33,000 candidates, including the contesters for the post of union council chairmen and general and members in reserved seat are vying for.
The government has announced a public holiday in the poll areas on the day.
Nearly one crore voters will franchise their voting rights in the last phase of UP elections.
EC sources said around two lakh members of the law enforcement agencies including the plain clothed detectives will keep vigil to ensure peaceful atmosphere in and around the polling centers. Besides, mobile courts led magistrates will remain active during the polls.
- Most viewed
- Maria Sharapova's return divides rivals
- Speed up relief operation in haor areas: PM
- Speaker off to Australia to join CPA meeting
- Maximum 2yrs jail for selling banned, tainted fish
- Be summer ready for office
- 1,400 families marooned in Moulvibazar
- Cabinet Secy: PayPal to start soon
- Shraddha Kapoor gets fiercer with age in new stills from ‘Haseena’ biopic
- May on course for sweeping win: poll
- Mother, daughter at helm of global event
- Safety rules ignored in Cox's Bazar beach
- Dhaka-Thimphu to work in power, water resources & connectivity: Statement
- 'Ruppur nuclear power plant's construction set to begin in June'
- Bangladesh students are welcome in US
- PM returns home from Bhutan
- Bhutan to facilitate entry of Bangladeshi products
- Policewomen honoured for their contribution
- Mother, daughter hurt in Gaibandha acid attack