Voting in last phase of UP polls begins
Published : 04 Jun 2016, 18:06
The voting in the last phase polls to over 710 Union Parishads (Ups) across the country began this morning.
The balloting that began at 8 am will continue till 4 pm without any break.
All out preparations including stringent security measures have been taken to hold the elections in a free, fair, peaceful and festive manner.
Around 33,000 candidates, including the contesters for the post of union council chairmen and general and members in reserved seat are vying for.
The government has announced a public holiday in the poll areas on the day.
Nearly one crore voters will franchise their voting rights in the last phase of UP elections.
EC sources said around two lakh members of the law enforcement agencies including the plain clothed detectives will keep vigil to ensure peaceful atmosphere in and around the polling centers. Besides, mobile courts led magistrates will remain active during the polls.
- Most viewed
- 6 women ‘militants’ held in Panchagarh
- March 27 Deaths
- March 27 Births
- March 27 Events
- UK police still believe London attacker was acting alone
- Two killed, more ‘well-trained’ militants inside, says army in Sylhet
- Families of Sylhet blast victims wail in misery
- Police put on alert across Bangladesh
- PM calls on 'misguided militants' to return to normal life
- Eurovision 2017: Ukraine bars Russian singer Samoilova from contest
- First child marriage under special provision of new law held in Bangladesh
- 'Blessed to work with 'Quantico' actors'
- 'Not consulted by Centre on Teesta, state's interests come first'
- Sleep apnea in kids may affect mental skills
- 'Sex assault' streamed on Facebook Live
- Fire at Bangladesh Bank building
- ECNEC approves mega project for health sector
- 'Bangladesh role model in women's advancement'