Voting in last phase of UP polls begins
Published : 04 Jun 2016, 18:06
The voting in the last phase polls to over 710 Union Parishads (Ups) across the country began this morning.
The balloting that began at 8 am will continue till 4 pm without any break.
All out preparations including stringent security measures have been taken to hold the elections in a free, fair, peaceful and festive manner.
Around 33,000 candidates, including the contesters for the post of union council chairmen and general and members in reserved seat are vying for.
The government has announced a public holiday in the poll areas on the day.
Nearly one crore voters will franchise their voting rights in the last phase of UP elections.
EC sources said around two lakh members of the law enforcement agencies including the plain clothed detectives will keep vigil to ensure peaceful atmosphere in and around the polling centers. Besides, mobile courts led magistrates will remain active during the polls.
- Most viewed
- Khaleda’s appeal accepted, bail hearing Sunday
- India should not be worried: PM
- BD hailed for pioneering Int'l Mother Language Day
- Prime Minister visits Rajshahi today
- Settle rule on Marma sisters in 6 weeks: SC
- 22 February Deaths
- 22 February Births
- 22 February Events
- Magical good luck plants and trees for home
- Open Access Movement for Open Data, Education and Research
- Jennifer Aniston, Justin Theroux separate
- Housewife hacked to death in Sylhet, 2 held
- Khaleda can’t run polls in present context: CEC
- Nation set to pay homage to language martyrs
- 'Suu Kyi could be guilty of crimes against humanity'
- Emma donates 1 million pounds for victims of sexual harassment
- Keep every child alive, says Unicef
- 21 eminent citizens receive Ekushey Padak