GF to get $13b to fight AIDS, TB and malaria
Published : 18 Sep 2016, 23:02
The Fifth Replenishment Conference of the Global Fund (GF) ended on Saturday with a pledge to donate $13 billion to the fund to prevent three of the world's most devastating diseases - AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria.
"The world leaders at the two-day conference have pledged to donate $13 billion to the fund to fight three of the world's most devastating diseases and it would save eight million lives across the globe," Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced at the closing session of the conference at the Assembly Hall of the ICAO Headquarters here yesterday afternoon.
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina attended the closing session of the conference with other heads of state and government as well as health ministers of different countries.
Apart from the Canadian prime minister, Swedish Premier Stefen Lofven, Secretary of State for International Development of the UK Priti Patel and Microsoft founder Bill Gates spoke at the closing session of the conference.
A video message of German Chancellor Angela Markel was also aired at the closing session.
Heads of state and government, ministers of health and finance, as well as representatives from the private sector, academia, and civil society participated in the conference to further mobilize commitment to end AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria by 2030.
The Global Fund is the world's main funding body for activities related to the prevention and treatment of AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria. It supports programs all over the world, with a focus on those areas where the burden of disease is greatest.
- Most viewed
- People suffer for countrywide transport strike
- HC halts gas price hike for 6 months
- SpaceX to send two tourists around Moon in 2018
- Reasons of post-pregnancy weight gain
- Humans spark most US wildfires: study
- 8 Dead, 30 Injured After Bus Plunges Into Canal In Andhra Pradesh
- 5 JMB men given death penalty for killing Kunio Hoshi
- 28 February Deaths
- 28 February Births
- PM urges brands, buyers to help overhaul garment factories
- Modern multi-storied food warehouse ready for opening at Santahar
- Gas price hike: CPB, BSD call hartal in Dhaka Feb 28
- President, PM pay tributes to Pilkhana martyrs
- Khadiza goes back home
- Sports village to be constructed at Padmar char: PM
- 82,000 tonnes winter vegetables produced in Narsingdi
- JU VC honored as first woman VC to public university
- Medical student killed in Dhaka road accident