GF to get $13b to fight AIDS, TB and malaria
Published : 18 Sep 2016, 23:02
The Fifth Replenishment Conference of the Global Fund (GF) ended on Saturday with a pledge to donate $13 billion to the fund to prevent three of the world's most devastating diseases - AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria.
"The world leaders at the two-day conference have pledged to donate $13 billion to the fund to fight three of the world's most devastating diseases and it would save eight million lives across the globe," Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced at the closing session of the conference at the Assembly Hall of the ICAO Headquarters here yesterday afternoon.
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina attended the closing session of the conference with other heads of state and government as well as health ministers of different countries.
Apart from the Canadian prime minister, Swedish Premier Stefen Lofven, Secretary of State for International Development of the UK Priti Patel and Microsoft founder Bill Gates spoke at the closing session of the conference.
A video message of German Chancellor Angela Markel was also aired at the closing session.
Heads of state and government, ministers of health and finance, as well as representatives from the private sector, academia, and civil society participated in the conference to further mobilize commitment to end AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria by 2030.
The Global Fund is the world's main funding body for activities related to the prevention and treatment of AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria. It supports programs all over the world, with a focus on those areas where the burden of disease is greatest.
- Most viewed
- Woman commits suicide after killing daughter
- Ivy released from hospital
- 23 January Deaths
- 23 January Births
- 23 January Events
- PM releases stamp, first day cover on Int'l Customs Day
- 7 reasons you should use vegan products
- How to make someone fall in love with you: According to science
- Six reasons why you should wear sunglasses in the cold season
- Committee formed to implement 9th wage board for journos: Tarana
- Strong Coast Guard important for world maritime security: US
- PM urges developed countries to stand beside Bangladesh
- Indian girl dies after gang rapists rupture her lungs
- Priyanka Chopra lets go of her diet on her vacation!
- Katy Perry in 'tough conversations' with her record label
- UN rapporteur determined to follow up thwarted mission
- British MPs approve landmark Brexit bill
- Militants kill mother-daughter polio workers in Pakistan