Syed Shamsul Haque's 81st birth anniversary today
Published : 27 Dec 2016, 12:54
The 81st birth anniversary of versatile Bengali poet Syed Shamsul Haque will be observed today.
To mark the day, Jatiya Kabita Parishad will stage discussion, reminiscence and poem recitation at Poet Shamsur Rahman auditorium of Bangla Academy at 11 am which will be joined by noted personalities of the country.
Bangla Academy Director General Shamsuzzaman Khan, poets Rabiul Hussain, Rubi Rahman, Habibullah Siraji, Muhammad Nurul Huda and writer Anwara Syed Haque, among others, will join the function. Jatiya Kabita Parishad President Poet Muhammad Samad will chair it.
Born in Kurigram on December 27, 1935, Syed Shamsul Haq was a poet,
lyricist and writer. He was awarded Bangla Academy Award in 1966 (the youngest among all to receive it), Ekushey Padak in 1984 and Independence Day Award in 2000 by the Bangladesh Government for his contributions to Bangla literature.
Haq wrote poetry, fiction, plays (mostly in verse), Music lyrics and essays. His literary works were included in the curriculum of school level, secondary, higher secondary and graduation level Bengali literature in the country.
Haque wrote songs including "Jar Chaya Poreche Monero Aynate" and "Haire Manush Rongin Fanush". His novels Nishiddha Loban (1990) and Khelaram Khele Ja (1991) and plays Payer Awaj Paoa Jay and Nuruldiner Sara Jibon were highly acclaimed.
Haque's poetry included Ekoda Ek Rajje (1961), Boishekhe Rochito Ponktimala (1969), Birotihin Utsob (1969), Protidhonigon (1976), Opor Purush (1978) and Kobita Samagra (2007).
- Most viewed
- Indian scientists develop ‘healthy’ wine from tea
- Top benefits of tejpatta or bay leaves
- Pushing for blind dates
- Easy tips on how to keep your white clothes whiter and brighter
- Permanent Peoples' Tribunal finds Myanmar guilty
- Hindu community to cut Durga Puja expense to aid Rohingyas
- Prime minister at UN urges 'safe zones' for Myanmar's Rohingya
- PM seeks urgent steps to end Rohingya crisis; places 5-point proposal to UN
- 22 September Deaths
- ‘SDG Tracker’ & Publication on South South launched
- Woman burnt to death ‘by husband’ for failing to get MBBS seat
- Preparation on to celebrate Durga puja
- PM reaffirms Bangladesh's commitment to end sexual abuse of peacekeepers
- Selena Gomez back to work after kidney transplant
- PM calls for taking private sector on board for SDG financing
- 'Addressing climate change means ensuring human rights'
- How to have beautiful toned body
- Nawaz Sharif's wife wins Lahore by-poll