Syed Shamsul Haque's 81st birth anniversary today
Published : 27 Dec 2016, 12:54
The 81st birth anniversary of versatile Bengali poet Syed Shamsul Haque will be observed today.
To mark the day, Jatiya Kabita Parishad will stage discussion, reminiscence and poem recitation at Poet Shamsur Rahman auditorium of Bangla Academy at 11 am which will be joined by noted personalities of the country.
Bangla Academy Director General Shamsuzzaman Khan, poets Rabiul Hussain, Rubi Rahman, Habibullah Siraji, Muhammad Nurul Huda and writer Anwara Syed Haque, among others, will join the function. Jatiya Kabita Parishad President Poet Muhammad Samad will chair it.
Born in Kurigram on December 27, 1935, Syed Shamsul Haq was a poet,
lyricist and writer. He was awarded Bangla Academy Award in 1966 (the youngest among all to receive it), Ekushey Padak in 1984 and Independence Day Award in 2000 by the Bangladesh Government for his contributions to Bangla literature.
Haq wrote poetry, fiction, plays (mostly in verse), Music lyrics and essays. His literary works were included in the curriculum of school level, secondary, higher secondary and graduation level Bengali literature in the country.
Haque wrote songs including "Jar Chaya Poreche Monero Aynate" and "Haire Manush Rongin Fanush". His novels Nishiddha Loban (1990) and Khelaram Khele Ja (1991) and plays Payer Awaj Paoa Jay and Nuruldiner Sara Jibon were highly acclaimed.
Haque's poetry included Ekoda Ek Rajje (1961), Boishekhe Rochito Ponktimala (1969), Birotihin Utsob (1969), Protidhonigon (1976), Opor Purush (1978) and Kobita Samagra (2007).
- Most viewed
- PM defends Rampal Plant in interaction with Gore at WEF
- 39 jailed in India for trafficking 7 Bangladeshis, dozens of Indians
- 15 school children feared killed in road accident in India
- PM for utilising transboundary freshwater resources
- 19 January Deaths
- 19 January Births
- 19 January Events
- Journo Shahidul Huq's wife Shamsun Nahar passes away
- Shakira asks Davos elite to nurture future leaders
- PM urges partymen to overcome challenging days ahead
- PM arrives in Zurich to attend WEF meeting
- PM joins Biswa Ijtema Akheri Munajat
- 13 bodies found, scores of migrants feared dead in Mediterranean
- 26 get death in seven-murder trial
- India boat accident toll rises to 26, more dead feared
- 6 killed, 15 injured in Comilla road accident
- Climate change shows in shrinking Antarctic snows
- 16 January Births