Syed Shamsul Haque's 81st birth anniversary today
Published : 27 Dec 2016, 12:54
The 81st birth anniversary of versatile Bengali poet Syed Shamsul Haque will be observed today.
To mark the day, Jatiya Kabita Parishad will stage discussion, reminiscence and poem recitation at Poet Shamsur Rahman auditorium of Bangla Academy at 11 am which will be joined by noted personalities of the country.
Bangla Academy Director General Shamsuzzaman Khan, poets Rabiul Hussain, Rubi Rahman, Habibullah Siraji, Muhammad Nurul Huda and writer Anwara Syed Haque, among others, will join the function. Jatiya Kabita Parishad President Poet Muhammad Samad will chair it.
Born in Kurigram on December 27, 1935, Syed Shamsul Haq was a poet,
lyricist and writer. He was awarded Bangla Academy Award in 1966 (the youngest among all to receive it), Ekushey Padak in 1984 and Independence Day Award in 2000 by the Bangladesh Government for his contributions to Bangla literature.
Haq wrote poetry, fiction, plays (mostly in verse), Music lyrics and essays. His literary works were included in the curriculum of school level, secondary, higher secondary and graduation level Bengali literature in the country.
Haque wrote songs including "Jar Chaya Poreche Monero Aynate" and "Haire Manush Rongin Fanush". His novels Nishiddha Loban (1990) and Khelaram Khele Ja (1991) and plays Payer Awaj Paoa Jay and Nuruldiner Sara Jibon were highly acclaimed.
Haque's poetry included Ekoda Ek Rajje (1961), Boishekhe Rochito Ponktimala (1969), Birotihin Utsob (1969), Protidhonigon (1976), Opor Purush (1978) and Kobita Samagra (2007).
- Most viewed
- People suffer for countrywide transport strike
- HC halts gas price hike for 6 months
- SpaceX to send two tourists around Moon in 2018
- Reasons of post-pregnancy weight gain
- Humans spark most US wildfires: study
- 8 Dead, 30 Injured After Bus Plunges Into Canal In Andhra Pradesh
- 5 JMB men given death penalty for killing Kunio Hoshi
- 28 February Deaths
- 28 February Births
- PM urges brands, buyers to help overhaul garment factories
- Modern multi-storied food warehouse ready for opening at Santahar
- Gas price hike: CPB, BSD call hartal in Dhaka Feb 28
- President, PM pay tributes to Pilkhana martyrs
- Khadiza goes back home
- Sports village to be constructed at Padmar char: PM
- 82,000 tonnes winter vegetables produced in Narsingdi
- JU VC honored as first woman VC to public university
- Medical student killed in Dhaka road accident