Syed Shamsul Haque's 81st birth anniversary today
Published : 27 Dec 2016, 12:54
The 81st birth anniversary of versatile Bengali poet Syed Shamsul Haque will be observed today.
To mark the day, Jatiya Kabita Parishad will stage discussion, reminiscence and poem recitation at Poet Shamsur Rahman auditorium of Bangla Academy at 11 am which will be joined by noted personalities of the country.
Bangla Academy Director General Shamsuzzaman Khan, poets Rabiul Hussain, Rubi Rahman, Habibullah Siraji, Muhammad Nurul Huda and writer Anwara Syed Haque, among others, will join the function. Jatiya Kabita Parishad President Poet Muhammad Samad will chair it.
Born in Kurigram on December 27, 1935, Syed Shamsul Haq was a poet,
lyricist and writer. He was awarded Bangla Academy Award in 1966 (the youngest among all to receive it), Ekushey Padak in 1984 and Independence Day Award in 2000 by the Bangladesh Government for his contributions to Bangla literature.
Haq wrote poetry, fiction, plays (mostly in verse), Music lyrics and essays. His literary works were included in the curriculum of school level, secondary, higher secondary and graduation level Bengali literature in the country.
Haque wrote songs including "Jar Chaya Poreche Monero Aynate" and "Haire Manush Rongin Fanush". His novels Nishiddha Loban (1990) and Khelaram Khele Ja (1991) and plays Payer Awaj Paoa Jay and Nuruldiner Sara Jibon were highly acclaimed.
Haque's poetry included Ekoda Ek Rajje (1961), Boishekhe Rochito Ponktimala (1969), Birotihin Utsob (1969), Protidhonigon (1976), Opor Purush (1978) and Kobita Samagra (2007).
- Most viewed
- U-15 girls take on Bhutan in SAFF semi
- 16 August Events
- 16 August Births
- 16 August Deaths
- Bangabandhu's assassination most shameful incident in world history: Envoy
- Speaker pays homage to Bangabandhu
- Prime Minister pays homage to Bangabandhu in Tungipara
- President, PM pay homage to Bangabandhu
- Nation observes National Mourning Day today
- Bangladeshi women footballers beat Pakistan by 14-0
- PM greets U-15 women footballers for victory over Pakistan
- Sexual violence a tool to force ethnic minorities to migrate: Experts
- Prevent cancer, save life
- US judge halts mother-daughter deportation
- Williams rebounds from worst loss to advance in Cincy tennis
- BD beat Nepal 3-0 to emerge group top in SAFF U-15 Women’s championship
- Tofu, soy milk can boost bone strength in women
- With new category, Oscars are now a popularity contest