Fans bid tearful farewell to Sridevi
Published : 01 Mar 2018, 12:13
Thousands of fans lined the streets of Mumbai on Wednesday, some weeping quietly, others running behind the hearse, as they joined Bollywood stars in paying tributes to actress Sridevi who died at the weekend in Dubai.
Sridevi, 54, acted in 300 films in a career that began at age four and culminated in her becoming one of Hindi cinema’s biggest female superstars.
Police were called in to control a crowd that surged towards a Mumbai club where her body was placed for people to pay their respects.
“She was in the first movie I saw in theatres. I wanted to get a last glimpse of her, but the police won’t let us in,” Indrayani, a woman from Sridevi’s home state of Tamil Nadu in southern India, said.
‘SENSUALITY AND OOMPH’
Fans later ran behind a flower-bedecked truck carrying the body as it drove towards the crematorium.
Police in Dubai where Sridevi had gone to attend a family wedding said that a post mortem showed her death on Saturday was due to drowning in her hotel room’s bathtub following loss of consciousness.
Media reports had earlier said the cause of death was cardiac arrest.
Sridevi is survived by her husband, Boney Kapoor, and daughters Janhvi and Khushi. The Kapoors are a prominent film family, and her brothers-in-law, Anil and Sanjay, are actors, as is Arjun Kapoor, her husband’s son from a previous marriage.
“She was an all-round actress, a hard worker who was always willing to correct her mistakes and improve,” Bharathi Pradhan, a film critic who knew Sridevi from her initial days in Bollywood, said.
“She had sensuality and oomph like no other actress of the time.”
- Most viewed
- Doob to represent Bangladesh in 91st Oscar
- Prime Minister leaves London for New York
- Rock your locks with stylish chic buns
- Tempting sev puri to satisfy your craving
- James Bond to be back in 2020
- Mother ‘hacked dead’ by ‘drug addict’ son in Kushtia
- 23 September Events
- 23 September Births
- 23 September Deaths
- Seven-day skin care routine for lovely looks
- Instant triple talaq an offence in India
- Prime Minister to address 73rd Session UNGA September 27
- PM leaves for London Friday en route to NY to join 73rd UNGA
- Bangladesh hand Lebanon 8-0 thrashing
- PM unveils ‘World Skills Bangladesh’ logo
- Virtual or real? Fashion world split over digital supermodels
- Hasina, Modi to open Bangladesh-India oil pipeline today
- UK Foreign Secy Hunt to meet Suu Kyi during Myanmar visit