Woman Wears Hijab And Burkini In Minnesota Pageant
Published : 28 Nov 2016, 19:04
A Somali-American woman has become the first to compete in the Miss Minnesota USA pageant in full-body outfits.
Halima Aden made the semifinals of the competition over the weekend while wearing a hijab. She also wore a burkini during the swimsuit competition.
The Minneapolis Star-Tribune reports Aden's swim outfit stood in contrast to those of the other 44 contestants, most of whom wore bikinis.
Before the competition, the 19-year-old told Minnesota Public Radio News that the pageant was "a great platform to show the world who I am."
- Most viewed
- Journo Shahidul Huq's wife Shamsun Nahar passes away
- Shakira asks Davos elite to nurture future leaders
- Effectiveness of SAARC yet to end: PM
- Air strike on refugee camp in Nigeria kills 52 civilians
- 18 January Deaths
- 18 January Births
- 18 January Events
- 'Sultan Mela' begins in Narail
- Michelle Obama: uber-mom, style icon, political force
- AL suggests e-voting for free, fair election
- PM urges partymen to overcome challenging days ahead
- PM arrives in Zurich to attend WEF meeting
- 13 bodies found, scores of migrants feared dead in Mediterranean
- PM joins Biswa Ijtema Akheri Munajat
- 26 get death in seven-murder trial
- PM urges Myanmar to take back its nationals from Bangladesh
- India boat accident toll rises to 26, more dead feared
- Climate change shows in shrinking Antarctic snows