How To Get Rid of a Hangover After New Year Party
Published : 01 Jan 2017, 17:28
It's a familiar feeling waves of nausea, a heavy head, sickness, raging thirst, over sensitivity to light and noise? Yes, it's the dreaded hangover! You may or may not remember what you did last night, but you will remember how horrid you felt the next morning. That's the thing about hangovers, they're equally painful each time and only get worse with age. Drinking a glass of wine, a pint of beer and then ending the night with a few shots of tequila might’ve sounded like a good idea at the time, but it usually leads to a terrible morning. And no matter how many times you tell yourself it's the last time you'll ever drink 'so much', there's always the chance that there will be a next time. So to avoid spending the 1st day of 2017 lousy in bed, we've listed quick tips and recipes to help you ring in the New Year with a smile on your face.
Hangover Cures: Pick-Your-Own
1. Hair of the Dog: This is probably the most controversial yet exciting of all hangover cures. This theory suggests that a hangover is actually the symptom of very, very small amounts of methanol. So you should have another drink so that the ethanol displaces the methanol making you feel better. In simpler words, if you're hungover, just have another drink!
2. Go Bananas: It's common knowledge that bananas help restore the body's potassium levels and eggs provide protein that quickly helps to replenish the body with vitamin B. It's the easiest way to tackle a hangover.
3. Water, juice and other liquids: If you've been binge drinking then it's likely that you'll be dehydrated. So wake up and drink as much water as possible to flush out all toxins and hydrate your body back to health.
4. Pop a Painkiller: This is perhaps the quickest way to ease a throbbing head. It is believed that the anti-inflammatory properties of painkillers reacts against the compounds of alcohol to offer relief. Also, instead of waiting till the morning after you could try and pop the painkiller 4 hours after drinking.
While your choice of hangover cure works its magic, here's something to cure your hunger too. Here at NDTV Food, we've hand-picked some incredibly easy and effortless recipes just to minimize your suffering!
1. Cheese Onion Omelette
Recipe by Ritu Dalmia
All you need is 4 simple ingredients and 15 minutes to spare to whip up this gorgeous cheese omelette made with caramelized onions. And did you know: Eating cheese before a night of heavy drinking helps prevent a terrible hangover? Eggs also have a high concentration of amino acid called L-cysteine, which helps your body breakdown excess acetaldehyde and in turn eliminates some of the hangover symptoms.
2. 3 Minute Chocolate Cake
Chocolate makes everything better, even your hangover. And this quick, hassle-free recipe only takes 3 minutes of your precious time. Throw in the ingredients in a medium sized mug and microwave at high power for 1 minute. Let it cool down and dig in!
3. Masala Cheese French Toast
Recipe by Vicky Ratnani
Spicy and cheesy, saucy and crispy - this cheese toast is a clear winner. Just dip the slices of bread in a herby mix and fry it golden crisp. Stop drooling and head to the kitchen!
4. Tarka Bread Snack
Recipe by Manju Malhi
Small pieces of bread doused in onions, tomatoes, chilli, yogurt and a hint of lime. It's the perfect balance of sour, cool and spicy.
5. Banana Milkshake
Take some cream, banana, vanilla essence and crushed ice to whip up a delicious smoothie and possibly the most effective hangover cure
6. Baked Potato with Cream Cheese Dressing
Recipe by Niru Gupta
The cold winter months call for a whole lot of indulgence. Crispy baked potatoes filled with a cream cheese filling and nothing short of spectacular.
7. The 10-Minute Chicken Club Sandwich
Recipe by Niru Gupta
There's no better feeling than the one you get when you hold a giant club-sized sandwich on a hungover morning. It takes away the pain and leaves you satisfied and happy.
8. Thai Egg Fried Rice
Recipe by Niru Gupta
Rice cooked with egg, cucumber strips, coriander and a hint of fish sauce. It's crisp, warm and down-right fantastic!
9. Steamed Dhokla
Recipe by Aditya Bal & Devanshi
This Gujarati specialty is one everybody should master. It's easy, delicious and a real delight. What makes it even more exciting is the tadka of mustard seeds, curry leaves and piping hot red chillies.
10. Greek Salad with lemon Dressing
Recipe by Ajay Chopra
Don't feel like eating anything greasy? Here's a light and simple salad spruced up with herbs, fresh vegetables and a refreshing dressing.
- Most viewed
- So, does Priyanka's mommy approve of rumoured boyfriend Nick
- Burgener wraps up visit to Myanmar; underlines accountability
- Hundreds of women march in Rio to demand legal abortion
- Blame to go to AL grassroots leaders if it fails to win next polls: PM
- Parted at US border by Trump policy, migrants seek their children
- AL Anniversary: PM pays homage to Bangabandhu
- 23 June Births
- 23 June Deaths
- 23 June Events
- Chicago lawyers walk in heels to end sexual assault
- AL announced a reception on July 21 for PM
- 68.5m people displaced worldwide: UN
- Keep it up, PM to women cricketers
- ‘Amar Sonar Bangla’ now in Belarusian language
- Tonu Killing: CID to get suspects’ DNA reports next week
- World's oldest Sumatran orangutan Puan died
- New Zealand PM gives birth to baby girl
- WB should support national priority of a country, WB ED tells PM