Condom use on the rise, but still only a third of men wear them
Published : 13 Aug 2017, 17:54
An alarming number of people are still having unsafe sex.
Condom use is thankfully on the rise, but only about a third of sexually active American men, and a fifth of women surveyed by the Centers for Disease Control say they use them.
The federal health organization interviewed 11,300 women and 9,321 men ages 15-44 and found that only 23.8% of women and 33.7% of men used a condom the last time they had sex.
The study, conducted between 2011-2015, showed that condom use among men increased from just 29.5% in 2002 and 33.1% from 2006-2010.
Women, on the other hand, have gotten worse at condom use. In a prior four-year study from 2006-2010, 25.4% of women reported using condoms during their last sexual encounter, now down to 23.8%.
The new study also showed that, on average, only 14.8% of women and 19% of men aged 15-44 followed the “no glove, no love” rule, using a condom “every time” they had sex in the past year. This number decreased as respondents got older: there are more 15- to- 19-year-olds who use condoms every time than 35- to- 44-year-olds.
And 59.9% of women and 47.3% of men didn’t use condoms at all during the last year.
Only just over a quarter of respondents who were casually dating or had just met their last sexual partner used a condom every single time. And scarily, another 26.5% of respondents having casual sex said they used condoms none of the time.
Condoms are the only contraceptive that protects against sexually transmitted infections and prevents pregnancy, so wrap it up.
- Most viewed
- Doob to represent Bangladesh in 91st Oscar
- Prime Minister leaves London for New York
- Rock your locks with stylish chic buns
- Tempting sev puri to satisfy your craving
- James Bond to be back in 2020
- Mother ‘hacked dead’ by ‘drug addict’ son in Kushtia
- 23 September Events
- 23 September Births
- 23 September Deaths
- Seven-day skin care routine for lovely looks
- Instant triple talaq an offence in India
- Prime Minister to address 73rd Session UNGA September 27
- PM leaves for London Friday en route to NY to join 73rd UNGA
- Bangladesh hand Lebanon 8-0 thrashing
- PM unveils ‘World Skills Bangladesh’ logo
- Virtual or real? Fashion world split over digital supermodels
- Hasina, Modi to open Bangladesh-India oil pipeline today
- UK Foreign Secy Hunt to meet Suu Kyi during Myanmar visit