Why females are more generous than men
Published : 10 Oct 2017, 18:14
Ever wondered why women are more lenient in rewarding tokens than men? It is because the female brain responds more strongly to the prosocial behaviour than the male brain, which responds more to the selfish behaviour, finds a study.
The findings showed that the striatum — an active decision-maker located in the middle of the brain and responsible for the assessment of reward — is more strongly activated in female brains during prosocial decisions than during selfish decisions.
‘The reward and learning systems in our brains work in close cooperation. Studies show that girls are rewarded with praise for prosocial behaviour or helping behaviour instead of selfish behaviour,’ said Alexander Soutschek, post-doctoral student at the University of Zurich, Switzerland.
‘With this in mind, the gender differences could best be attributed to the different cultural expectations placed on men and women,’ Soutschek added.
The study, published in the journal Nature Human Behaviour, also revealed that when the researchers applied medication to the participants, both the males and females behaved differently. Under these conditions, women behaved more selfishly, while men became more prosocial.
‘These results demonstrate that the brains of women and men also process generosity differently at the pharmacological level,’ Soutschek added.
- Most viewed
- Katrina Kaif’s character in ‘Thugs of Hindostan’ revealed
- 21 September Events
- 21 September Births
- 21 September Deaths
- Quitting junk food can have withdrawals as drug addiction
- FIFA to upgrade flights, raise prize money for Women's World Cup
- Bangladesh Asia’s 2nd most gender equal country: WEF
- PM flies for New York to join 73rd UNGA
- Receiving Smita Patil award validates my choices: Anushka
- 10% pass in Dhaka University ‘Ga’ unit admission test
- Bangabandhu struggled for peace and equality: PM
- 15 September Deaths
- Bangladesh least innovative country in Asia
- Technical school & college to be built in each upazila: PM
- 15 September Events
- Sonam believes Kangana is a troublemaker
- Technology is the best way to develop country: Sheikh Hasina
- Seven-day skin care routine for lovely looks