Coffee has more power than you ever thought: 3 cups a day helps you live longer
Published : 22 Feb 2018, 18:37
A new study has concluded that drinking two or three cups of coffee in a day helps you keep your liver and circulatory system healthier. It also contributes to lower levels of inflammation.
Good news if you love coffee more than tea: According to a new study, people who drink coffee twice or thrice a day, whether caffeinated or otherwise, may have a lower chance of dying from certain illnesses than those who abstain from it.
The study, thought to be the largest of its kind, was conducted on more than 5,00,000 people across 10 European countries over the last 16 years, according to the National Geographic. The study concludes that people who drank coffee show signs of having healthier livers and circulatory systems, as well as lower levels of inflammation than those who do not like coffee at all.
“The findings also indicated that higher coffee consumption was associated with a reduced risk of death from any cause, including circulatory diseases and digestive diseases,” said epidemiologist and study leader Marc Gunter, who heads the nutrition and metabolism section of the International Agency for Research on Cancer in Lyon, France.
Older and smaller-scale studies had found a direct link between those who drank coffee and increased chances of certain ailments, such as liver cancer. Gunter’s findings, however, provide the most substantial evidence to date. “This digestive disease relationship, which was strongest for liver disease deaths, is particularly striking,” he says. Gunter added that his next step was to analyse the brew’s chemical composition in hopes of understanding on what makes the popular beverage so special and good.
- Most viewed
- Pakistani woman lawmaker becomes opposition leader in Senate
- Playboy model apologises to Melania, says Trump tried to pay her after sex
- PM enjoys cultural show at Bangabandhu Stadium
- Wife of pilot Abid passes away
- 23 March Deaths
- 23 March Births
- 23 March Events
- 'Sex and the City' star enters New York governor race
- Speaker off to Saudi to perform Umrah
- Jacqueline Fernandez gets into Madhuri Dixit mode
- Bangabandhu's 99th birthday being celebrated
- Govt efforts helped BD attain criteria to graduate from LDC: PM
- Bangladesh eligible for LDC graduation
- Magura man ‘kills’ wife for dowry
- Lawyers file to prosecute Suu Kyi for crimes against humanity
- 17 March Deaths
- PM pays tribute to Bangabandhu on his birthday
- Spring cleaning for your home – literally!