Gigi Hadid covers first Vogue Arabia issue
Published : 04 Mar 2017, 16:43
Vogue Arabia launches this month - and Gigi Hadid has been revealed as its first cover star.
Writing on her Instagram page, the model said: "Being half-Palestinian, it means the world to me to be on the first-ever cover(s) of Vogue Arabia."
Two different editions of the magazine's first issue have been produced - one in English and one in Arabic.
Different images of Hadid in a sequined headscarf feature on the two covers.
"I think the beautiful thing about there being international Vogues is that, as a fashion community, we are able to celebrate, and share with the world, different cultures," Hadid said.
Saudi princess Deena Aljuhani Abdulaziz has been appointed the editor-in-chief of the new magazine by its publisher Conde Nast International.
"In one poised photograph, [Hadid] communicates a thousand words to a region that's been waiting far too long for its Vogue voice to speak," Abdulaziz said.
The reaction to the two covers has been broadly supportive - but some Instagram users left comments encouraging the publication to use Arabian models for their future issues.
"Such a gorgeous image, though I wish they'd have used an Arabian model - those girls are so beautiful," wrote one follower of the Vogue Arabia account.
Another said: "Been waiting for this for so long ???? maybe you'll give a chance to Arab models like what Harper's Bazaar did."
Hadid has mixed heritage - her mother is a Dutch-born American while her father is Palestinian-American.
- Most viewed
- Cheese Chicken Kebab
- Chandrika Kumaratunga calls on PM
- 5 simple kitchen hacks that will make your life easier
- Prime minister deeply shocked at Manchester terror attack
- Salman Abedi: Student dropout turned suicide bomber
- Suu Kyi seeks to revive ethnic peace process
- Female Muslim comic standing up to extremism
- How sleep disorders could affect women and men differently
- Ariana Grande returns to US following Manchester bombing
- Banani rape: Key accused Nayem Ashraf placed in 7-day remand
- Banani Rape: Key accused Nayem
- Banani hotel rape charge 'credible', police say
- Swatch of No-ground: A treasure trove of marine lives
- Haor people to get fresh agri loan at 4.5 pc: PM
- Bollywood actress Reema Lagoo dies
- 'Unplanned Tourism Effects Biodiversity of Cox’s Bazar'
- Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina reaches Netrakona
- Banani rape: Cops allowed for forensic test on mobiles of Shafat, Sakif