Facebook set to expand its Groups feature
Published : 14 Jun 2017, 15:37
Facebook is looking to expand its Groups feature with an aim of putting more communities online.
The social media giant is testing a Groups section in its smartphone app that will see it appear alongside the main notifications, friends requests and news feed areas which has appeared in recent days for some users, Telegraph.co.uk reported on Monday.
The Groups feature which is usually hidden in the app’s settings will be brought to the forefront with this move to enable the Facebook experience to centre around online communities.
“This is a test to help people more easily navigate Facebook and find what is interesting to them,” a Facebook spokesman was quoted as saying.
The new Groups section prominently features a “Discover” page for finding new communities.
It shows groups arranged by categories such as “Funny”, “Food” and “Sport”, as well as groups that friends have joined and those from a local area.
Facebook started a limited test of Discover last year but has been expanding it to more users recently.
The section also features a third page for creating your own group, as well as a special search bar for finding them.
According to reports, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg sees groups private or public communities of users centered around a certain topic as central to the next chapter of the company’s growth to make Facebook a destination for meaningful online connections.
- Most viewed
- Want to work for people until death: Prime Minister
- Rabindra-Nazrul Jayanti celebrated in London
- People stream to Suhrawardy Udyan for Hasina's reception
- Temperature may fall by (1-2)°C over country
- Bangladeshi Sharmin wins Commonwealth recognition
- British PM’s trade envoy Rushanara due today
- AL to hold mass reception to Prime Minister today
- 21 July Events
- 21 July Births
- ‘We’re on top of the world anyways’: Croatia’s president
- What you should know about Croatian President Kolinda Kitarovic
- Bangladesh emerge all-win champions in Women's WT20 Qualifiers
- France-Croatia to fight for World Cup 2018 title tonight
- France crowned World Cup 2018 champions after beating Croatia
- Use jute bags, break up with plastics: Prime Minister
- HSC, equivalent exams results tomorrow
- 'I had to make my kidnapper fall in love with me': Chloe Ayling
- Putin, Macron, Kitarovic to watch World Cup final